Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learning sheet music; can I use tuba sheet music?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by basslinebaby, Jun 29, 2004.

1. basslinebaby

basslinebaby

Jun 29, 2004
    By now i've probably confused you all, so I apologize for that. Basically I've always liked playing something different, so in fourth grade I picked up viola, fifth grade tuba, and so on. Thanks to tuba I've discovered my new found passion in bass lines, so I got myself a nice little 5 string Ibanez. Well, I want to learn how to read sheet music and tab stuff. I have the tab learning going along nicely,,, and now I want to start with the sheet music. Well, here's the thing: I don't have that much money for bass sheet music things, but I do have tuba music EVERYWHERE. Hence, I was wondering if it's alright to do the standard 'find the note, know the name of the note, then find it on the fretboard' approach with it. I know where the tuba goes too low for my bass, so that parts alright, and I know how to find my lowest bass note on sheet music, just need more practice. So yeah, think that could work for me?

Another thing,, I started out on Double bass so I got used to anchoring my thumb onto the fingerboard while I played. What I've been doing is finding little niches for my thumb and keeping it there, and it gives my fingers a lot more security. Thing is, I'm not sure if I'm aupposed to do that. Am I, and if not, can you describe proper posture for someone who fingers the notes?

Thanks! :bassist:

2. Jim Jackson

Jim Jackson

Jun 19, 2004
    yes!! you can use whatever music you want but the thing is that the bass guitar music is written in the same range as a trombone. if you have no problem transcribing up an octave tuba music should be ok.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Thanks Jim,
    Right on!

Mike

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

bass sheet music is actually an octave under the trombone sheet music, but they are still both in C concert and bass clef so it doesnt really matter, you can still follow it.

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    No, Jazzin, it is not. The bass is written an octave higher than it sounds, which is the same place as trombone music. Jim hit the nail right on the head.

We tubists are the coolest :cool:

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

what i said was correct. the bass music is written an octave higher than it sounds while the trombone sheet music is written with a normal middle C. the bass sheet music is written that way because the bass is an ovtace lower than the trombone in normal range, so instead of reading all the notes under the staff, theyre transposed. im pretty sure we already know what we mean, we just miscomunicated.