1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Learning Slap and Pop.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Apr 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I've been working on this technique for about a month, and I really suck at it.

I'd be willing to purchase a video course. Is there some credible sources that you can recommend. For me I need to see how the hands are working. There are plenty of YT vids, but there's too many to pick from. And, I think they get way beyond the basics very quick. I need to get the foundation solid before I try for the speed.

I'm also looking for songs that might use some basic octave slap and pop. I like the older funk stuff. I've also tried to learn Can't stop by the Chili Peppers. It's too advanced for me. I can do it really slow, but the speed isn't coming. I want something easier.

Thanks,

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  2. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've seen quite a few people recommend Alex Sklarevski's material, though I'm not too familiar with it myself. You can find his Slap Bass Program on YouTube.

Mushroo, Spidey2112 and Whousedtoplay like this.
  3. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I congratulate you for your bravery to express your willingness to learn "Slap & Pop" at TB where we have more threads about how "annoying Slap is".

You said, "I've been working on this technique for about a month(!!!)"
    I've started using that "thumbing & popping" around 1978/79, and, still, could not achieve a lot.
    Don't give up!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Oopps! I didn't know that was a thing. I'll pass it off on my ignorance vs. bravery.

There's plenty of obnoxious slap bass on YT, that's why I was looking for something legit. I'm thinking 70's groove stuff. I've love it when the bassline makes you move.

Thanks for your post. I'll take a close look.

5. slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    I have Guitar Pro, any chance you could send me the file?

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I got Alex Sklorevsky's video.
    Very good.

8. Jrussblues

Jrussblues Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Slappin by Mel bay is a great book. Starts slow and works up

9. I've been trying to get the slapping down as we. I'm getting the feeling its not something you can learn from a book. A couple of hands on lessons with someone who knows what they're doing so you can really get the technique right would be my recommendation.

Its a bit like boxing. You can watch plenty of fights, but until some actually shows you where to put your feet you're never going to throw a decent punch.

MarloweDK has an app you can get for about $10 that got me further than anything else so far. Very simple. Plays a lick, plays it slow, plays it slower.

10. Basstards

Basstards

Oct 7, 2016
    Study Larry Graham and Brothers Johnson. Some of their tunes are easy enough to attempt.

That being said, It's been 3 years of trying for me, and I'm still mediocre. Just keep practicing. You need to build muscle and timing and muting techniques. It's not easy. Probably why it's a coveted technique.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    These some ABCs that help with developing muscle memory/technique.

T = Thumb (E-String)
    P = Pop (G-String)
    x = Muted Note
    S = Fretting Hand Slap

Starting simple, 1/8th notes...
    |TP TP TP TP|TP TP TP TP|
    |1& 2& 3& 4&|1& 2& 3& 4&|
    Or-
    |TS TS TS TS|TS TS TS TS|
    1& 2& 3& 4&|1& 2& 3& 4&|

Triplets-
    |TSP TSP TSP TSP|TSP TSP TSP TSP|
    |1&a 2&a 3&a 4&a|etc

16th notes-
    |TSTP TSTx TSTP TSTx|etc
    |1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a|etc

Sloooowly...
    Drum machine?
    Kick on "1" &"3"
    Snare on "2" &"4"
    Ride on "1", "2", "3", & "4"
    Maybe 70bpm? Slow.

Then, when confortable, begin mixing it up...it's called permutations.
    :)

Cool things to read up on-
    Open-Hammer Pluck
    Crossing the Barline "patterns" (not only slap/pop, fingerstyle, too)
    Slapping in odd groupings (4/4 but sounds like odd time).

12. nyde7

nyde7

Jun 27, 2005

slap-a-da-bass likes this.
  13. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I personally believe there is some truth to this. I can execute the fundamentals of basic slap technique without a lot of luck in making bass lines with it. I'm starting to think that while I love slap bass in funk and jazz, I may not have the creativity to do it myself.
    The more advanced techniques elude me completely. There is just so much happening at once that I can't play it smoothly.
    I hope the OP has more luck than I have.