Learning songs to teach technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've heard talk about how U Can't Hold No Groove was written by Vic as a kind of way to practice his double-thumbing. Well, that got me thinking on this subject.

I started to learn Portait of Tracy, which forced me to improve my technique for voicing harmonics -- natural, artificial, and tapped (I've even almost managed to get that last chord out) but I have no actual inclination to really hammer it out and be able to play it like I know I would be able to, had I the desire to do so. But I have benefitted a lot technique-wise from learning the parts of the song that I have (I've got the first two of that small rash of harmonic chords near the end, but nothing past that until the last chord) and I will eventually learn the rest of the song -- it's a great song and it'd kill at a Coffee House.

For the next while (probably several weeks) I'll be taking a shot at doing the Victor version of Overjoyed, as transcribed in the UK BG. My tapping chops are ok -- I learned about half of Moonlight Sonata (never got around to retabbing it -- the one on Hamm's site has you jumping all round where you don't need to go) and I think that's built the chops up to the point where I can start to tackle Overjoyed.

Does anyone else do this, or have experience doing it?

Note: I don't have any aspirations to be a chopswanker, but I think about music as a second language: if I want to say something, I don't want to be left without the vocabulary to do so.
  2. It's best when music is your first language. But you know that. :)

Learning songs is a great way to progress. Composing challenging songs is also good.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Songs that teach techniques

Those Damn Blue Collared Tweekers (Primus)- palm muting/double stops/slapping/three finger technique

Classical Thump (Victor Wooten) - double thumping and tapping

Parallel Universe (RHCP) - picking