1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

learning the clave?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fretless Bob, May 12, 2006.

1. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    I was looking for a book or dvd or anything really about the clave.

I had a look at funkifying the clave with Lincoln goines but was wondering if there was a better book out there.

any suggestions?

Dave

2. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    there's the latin bass book by oscar stagnaro. it's suposedly really good. havent tried it though. what's wrong with the funkifying the clave?

3. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    Maybe i worded the question wrong i just meant that was the only i knew of and is there any others out there.

Dave

4. jmal

jmal

Apr 5, 2006
    I just got Oscar Stagnaro's Latin Bass Book and it is really good. It comes with three cd's and the tracks are in the 3 minute range, so you can actually play with them, as opposed to short snippets on most instructional material. There is not musch verbage with the book; it jumps right into the music. Also, it is in standard notation, so if you don't read it's a good place to start getting familiar with it. FWIW, there is not much direct discussion of the clave, but it is present everywhere. You can't really describe it anyway. It's like describing swing in jazz. Swung eighth note triplets, etc., but that doesn't really tell you about the FEEL. Same thing with the Latin stuff, hence the good cd's. Hope this helps.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    In all of the discussions I've read and participated on in regards to latin/afro-cuban bass playing, the conclusion is that "The Latin Bass Book" and "Funkifying the Clave" are the books on the subject. A few guys here on TB have a latin bass newsgroup, IIRC...I got a PM a while ago about it, but I never got around to checking it out. I'll try and dig it out, you might find it really helpful.

EDIT: Found it -- latinbassnetwork-subscribe@yahoogroups.com