1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

learning the DB

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by vyse933, May 4, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    so..i play elecric bass at home..have played for almost two years. i play alto sax in jazz band and concert band at school..and i love music. i believe that i will be able to take three courses of music my senior year..and i would personally love to add orchestra to the mix. because of that, i am seriously considering taking private lessons and learning to play the DB, and then by the 2007-2008 school year be in orchestra (if it were to go well, i would attempt to continue studying DB in orchestra). i'm asking what do you all of you feel the switch is like from EB to DB, and wether or not it's a good idea. is learning the DB very hard when all you've played is EB? what are all the pros and cons of having already played EB? what kinda things are gonna be difficult for me in the get go, and what is it like playing DB in an orchestra compared to..lets say EB at home or in a jazz band or rock band? any other opinions or suggestions would also be appreciated.

2. It shouldn't be a large transition. Do what your teacher sais and you should be fine.

3. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Playing electric bass guitar and playing contrabass in an
    orchestra have about as much in common as a violin and
    a guitar... :)

So, your best advise is to just stop thinking about this
    as a "switch". Instead ask yourself, do I want to learn
    this new instrument.

Learning to bow is a BIG task, its really tough at first,
    and will require frequent time with a good teacher.

All this being said, should you do it? Only you can
    answer that, I've loved every minute I've spent on
    it, thats for sure :)

4. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    kk, thanks for the words. can you compare the double bass to being the tuba of orchestra?

5. umm...no:scowl:
    I do, however suggest you check out the newbie links in this forum and fill out your profile while you're at it.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43093