1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

learning the fretboard

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 4stringSlaughtr, Oct 6, 2013.

1. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Feb 26, 2012
    Michigan
    hey guys i'm in my first semester of college for music ...i'm learning theory, taking a bass class, and a vocal class...i've memorized the major scales in the circle of 5th's, so the major key signatures, been practicing rhythmic accounting etc etc, practicing with a metronome ect ect...now i really hate to say it like this..but well...i realized i don't know all the notes on the fretboard...i know them..but it takes time its never like "oh hey thats an A , thats a F# " ect ect...just wondering what i can do to speed up my learning the notes on the fretboard, i'm looking for something simple and practical ...i'm starting to play the first 5 frets on each string saying the notes out loud and its starting to help (though i JUST recently started this) any other tips to help me out?:bassist:

2. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Went to a clinic a few years ago featuring Anthony Wellington. He is a big proponent of learning all the notes on your bass.

Something like this:
    Start with open E, and chromatically find each E on the bass.

Do the same with F, F#, G, etc.

If you learn one note each day, you have learned the fretboard in twelve days. Or do one per week, one per month, etc.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  4. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Feb 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it !