1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

learning the slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I am struggleing to learn how to slap. I bought the Ed Friedland Slap DVD a few days ago. I've been practiceing daily. I am having trouble hitting every string,except the E string, cleanly. I am hitting every thing with the A the D and the G. Is it just a matter of practice or is there something I should know. I seem to have some success with a bit of muting on my right hand. Is this the proper technique?

2. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    OH YES, SLAP "The art of keeping your woman in line" as i refer to it as. some try to brainwash me into believing Larry Graham invented it. but i just don't buy it. Surely it's been around a few years before men had evolved from apes

3. pete&petelives

pete&petelives

Jan 8, 2006
    Well my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure to try and get used to trying to keep your thumb parellel to strings and not slap like most people do where their hand is in the same position as when their playing fingerstyle. You'll be able to slap much faster and in better groove (imho).

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I assume you are playing on a 4 string?

Its a matter of practice, practice, practice.

Start it of very slowly striking each string in turn, making sure you sound out a "clean note". Once you start getting the muscle memory going for where each string sits in your mind then you will find that your speed will increase.

Also, I assume the DVD you bought (like others have said already too) instructy you to hold your thumb as parallel to the strings as possible i.e. the tip of your thumb points in the direction of the headstock.

Also remeber that slapping is a wrist movement not a elbow movement. Think of the way you turn on a tap, you use your wrist, now just stick your thumb out and and curl your fingers towards your palm and make the same motion, same principle when slapping.

And one final piece of advice.......................practice

5. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    I found it easier to do when I just played open strings. It's a pain at first but then it gets easier, just like anything else. Just remember not to slap it too hard, let your wrist flow with the bounce. Before you know it, your girl will be sitting there yappin your ear off one day, you'll be sitting on the couch slappin the bass, then you'll just get it. Keep practicing.

6. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    I found it easier to slap on the lower strings and it does take a while to get it...

It may be worth practicing the pull with the first finger on a higher string at the same time as practicing the slap with the thumb. I find them part of the same movement.

Keep practicing and notice the small improvements - it does take a while before the penny drops.

7. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Get "Slap it!" www.slapit.com and then get a teacher to go over it with you.