Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learning The Traditional Way

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Aug 24, 2001.

1. How important do you think it is to learn bass the traditional way (i.g. Scales,Octaves,Apeggios) instead of the most popular way of listening to bands a copying them to your own style.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I didn't know that learning off an album was the more "popular" way, but...

I think it's very important to learn basic music theory, such as scales, and intervals, and how to read... Then all of these things can be applied when you listen to a record and try to learn the part. What the "traditional" way does for you is give you a foundation that you can build on and go in any direction you choose. Once you know the basics, you'll be able to create your own style. Listening to an album to learn a part is a great way to learn, and helps you develop a good ear, but learning WHAT you're playing will help you even more. But that's just me.

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    do both.

your practice sessions should include theory, technique, play alongs...

there is no one way.

f

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Well said. Short and sweet and to the point. Learning theory and getting to know the fretboard is just as important as playing along to music and with live musicians. They go hand in hand.

5. Although I'm still learning, and the fact that theory can look daunting at first, I think it's vital to being a good solid musician. I used to just copy bass lines from songs I had on CD or tape and then I came across chord appregios and all that stuff. So I now I learn the chord progression to the song and that means more freedom in choosing a bass line. That's just an example of how theory can help you progress.