Learning to play the Fretless 6

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Toodles, May 14, 2001.

1. I'm looking at purchasing a fretless and also a 6-string. I've had no real experience with either, so would it be stupid to get a fretless and fretted 6-string both at the same time or would be easier just to go frettless 4 and fretted 6?

Your reply may save me from wasting much needed cash.

My bands website has just gone up, if got bored moment check it out at www.methoweb.homestead.com

2. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    It would probably be easier to go with the fretless 4 and fretted six because with a fretless 6, you'd have to worry about muting AND intonation across those extra strings. Ultimately though, it's up to you. I would personally get the fretless 6, but I already have a fretted six. You might even discover that you don't like 6's. Also, you'd pay less to get a fretless 4 and a fretted 6 rather than searching for a fretless 6 in a store. (If your budget is limitless, then ignore the previous sentence.)

Good luck!
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Fretless 6s can be hard to find, perhaps you could get bass like Ibanez BTB-406 and have it defretted later.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you can get a nice fretless 6 from carvin pretty cheaply.

i would go for what you want. i went to fretless unlined 7 from fretless 4 about 8 years ago - sure it was hard, but it was what i wanted to play. took some time and practice, but i got there.
  5. thanks for your advice guys. I'm gonna get to a good guitar store soon and try both out. I really do wanna get the fretless six so if I can I'll go with it plus my fingers are big so a six neck feels like an in proportion 4 to me. Thanks again, I'll keep everything in mind.