Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jonasp, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Hello...i've done some searching in the forums. I haven't found anything good. Here is what I need. I've been playing bass for almost 2 years. In my book, I am really not good at all. I have been through a beginners bass book (teaches the basics) and a beginners guide to Rock Bass (did not teach me anything new).

I want to learn more. There is nobody in my area that gives lessons. So, i'm looking for a good book that might help me. Would scales help my performance? (i.e. Big Book of Scales) Or should i look for an advanced bass book?

Any tips or suggestions? What books have you guys been through? How did it work for you?

2. First I'd say that you really look harder into finding a teacher. Remeber, a teacher doesn't necessarily someone you find that teaches part time at some local music shop. Try community colleges. Even if they don't give courses designed specifically for bass, just a music theory course should help out your playing immensily.

Or if you are unable to get into a community college because of your age, your high school may offer a music theory course. Take an intro to Jazz course, Jazz may not be your thing, but it is theory rich and you can use that knowledge in whatever style of music you play. At the least they may have a guitar course that should get a little into theory.

What I am saying is: there are alot of places you can go to get lessons, don't just stop searching when you find out that "Joe's Music" doesn't offer any.

3. No music theory at my school. I live in a little town. There is only 1000 people, no music shop. I could join a jazz band, but the director isn't exactly the best one i've seen. He wouldn't teach me anything about theory.

I never thought about taking a music theory class when I get to college.
    Any other ideas or tips?

4. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Wellllll....if lessons are not possible and teachers are not to be found, what's a small town boy to do?

I, too, grew up in a small town and am a pretty decent self-taught bassist. ( now let's NOT get that teacher/self-taught debate going here. ) If instruction isn't available, there is a lot you can do. Try to find a band or jam session with players better than yourself. Nothing helps more than jammin' with people who are a notch or two above you. I used to play along with my old LP's for HOURS, so learn everything you own, then learn stuff you don't necessarily like. Next time you're out and about and a song pops up you don't like, listen to it anyway and think bass. Get a metronome and hammer out even quarters or eighths to work on your note consistency. mess around with a pick and your fingers.

The message is basically this: If you can't find someone to teach you, by playing as often and as diversly as possible, you will reveal to yourself some of the things that would have been taught to you ( of course you won't realize you know the stuff until later:D )

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    But you're playing. It's going to be hard to find the ideal situation if your town is so small, but at the very least you want to surround yourself with musicians.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I also started with lots of books but found that a good teacher can save you lots of time on theory learning and also encourage you to do things like watch the timming (we have some rhytmic practices with metronome) and correct some flaws in your playing.

Also what I have learned is: get a teacher then get a book... I couldn't understand the medium to advanced books until I started the bass lessons

7. Ok. Thanks for the ideas. I suppose that after I play longer I will naturally become better too, right?
    I will keep my eyes and ears open for good riffs and grooves.