Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Pkdawg18, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Ive been playing bass for about 2 or so years now. I really havent gotten very far in the sense of ability level. In my opinion the first 3 months were where I gained most of my experience. I would like to learn more but Im limited to just learning songs Ive heard. I would like to be able to come up with things of my own and develope more of a skill instead of learning something from a tab. what should I do to a better bassist?
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I think that you have reached your first plateau. The first step to learning more is realizing that you need or want to progress. That is a good sign.

If you want to create bass lines rather than just recreating others lines, you need to take the time and do the work in learning HOW bass lines are created. You need to learn a bit of music theory and relate that to your everyday playing. Here are some ideas.

Take a few lessons. Be upfront with the teacher. Tell them that you want to learn music theory and be able to apply it to creating bass lines.

Take some of the songs that you play by TAB and try to analyze the bass line as it relates to the chords. See how the bassist creats the bass line. Then apply some of those techniques to other songs or chord progressions.

If you have not already started. begin to transcribe songs. Start to further develop your ear. It is your most important tool.

Play music that you don't usually play. Play with other musicians that you don't normally play with. Play with player who are MUCH better than you.

Open up your mind to all the possible learning experiences.