1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Least Bright Nickel Round Wounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dregsfan, Nov 29, 2010.

1. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    I tried some DR Sunbeams and on one hand like them, but they seem too bright for my taste. I think DR's are considered a little brighter than other brands. Any suggestions for a "warmer" nickel round wound. Thanks. John

2. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    TI has a nickel round, with hex cores, that are the warmest rounds I've played, by far.

Personally, my fave. string is the R.Cocco nickel round - on the warm side but a great balanced tone, and superior intonation characteristics - I don't know why or how, but these really work well.

Point of reference - DR Sunbeams were my faves until I found the R. Cocco.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    GHS Pressurewounds.

4. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    Many thanks guys. I'm going to check those out. Never experimented with strings much. Looking forward to trying them.

5. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Don't know about 'least bright' nickels, but the D'addario EXL 170's are what I use. They are bright at first, but after about 2-3 weeks they're much warmer.

That probably won't help if you're one of those guys that changes strings every month, but I prefer an older, broken-in set of rounds as opposed to a new, zingy set. I usually change 'em after 4-6 months.

6. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    +1 My go to string of the last few years.

7. I would have said give the Sunbeams some time. They mellow out with use.

8. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Elrick. I had them on my bass for about an hour before I quickly removed them. I like bright strings:smug:

9. My problem seems to be high strings that seem brighter than the low strings. I've noticed this on Elixer nanos especially. Maybe it's the fact that the high strings are higher tension than the low ones.

10. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Old ones....:smug:

Have you considered flats?

11. The GHS Bass Boomers aren't bright, either. Very little string noise, too.

12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I found DR Black Beauties to be fairly warm out of the box and stayed that way for a long long time (I'm well into my second year on one set). They are also relatively smooth and quiet (not much finger noise while playing or sliding) for round wounds. Potential plus is the black finish, looks different and kinda cool. I've heard some say they sound mid rangey on warwicks but I've had them on a thumb bass and a couple of stingrays with very good results. Very even sounding across all 5 strings on my stingray.

13. gjuro

gjuro

Sep 15, 2010
    Croatia
    fender pure nickles or any pure nickle strings

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Nickle low-riders,perhaps?

http://www.drstrings.com/catalog/nickel-lo-riders

15. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Fender 9120 Nylon Tapewound's sound about half way between rounds and flats - they are roundwounds under the tape and sound the same just about forever :cool: .

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR Jonas Hellborg is the answer.

Be aware that these strings are different though. They are two pieces of wire. A core, and a wrap. That's it. The E string has HUGE wrap wire, and the part you wind around the tuners is just bare core wire. They are also very different sounding strings, they produce the fundamental tone, and that's it. No zing, no buzz, no overtones. It's really quite an odd experience playing these when you're used to conventional strings.

17. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks for the replys. Thought I was subscribed to this thread and haven't checked it in awhile. I have considered flats, don't think I've ever played any. Funny, I was just reading on their site about the DR Jonas Hellborgs before I checked this thread. Sounds interesting.

I'll consider all these suggestions, Thanks again guys. Never experimented much with strings. They are a much larger factor than I've acknowleged in the past.

Any other ideas?

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Along with the DR Hellborgs, try a pure nickel roundwound. They will be warmer than nickel plated steel roundwound, but brighter than the Hellborgs.

19. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    Cool. Will do.

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Cool! Anybody got a picture of what the strings look like?

I am tempted to try them.... the light gauge makes me a bit nervous though.