Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

least expensive tube amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryan morris, Oct 16, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    hey, i'm looking for a tube amp that is fairly cheap. i just spent all kinds of money on my current bass, but now i'd like to switch from ss to tube. i find my 160 watts to be a pretty good ammt. for what i play. i just want to get into tube. and maybe even trade my workingman 15 in for a tube job. i play everything from jazz to blues to funk to rock..everything. i like the warm sound of timmy c., both of cake's bassist', les, geddy lee, all of that stuff. any good priced cab deals for this too? i like 12" sound. i'd also be overdriving it sometimes to get that amazing sound. anyways, thanks, ryan

2. You might want to look for one of these:

Music Man HD150
    Ampeg V4B
    Traynor YBA-4
    Sound City L150B

You should be able to find one of these in the $250 range if you look in the right places.

3. I'd say a used Ampeg V4-B. In fact, I have just the one. I'll trade you it for the Workingman's straight up!

If you do a search in TB for this amp, you'll find quite a lot, all good. Mine is a 1971 model.

Mark

4. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    hey thanks for the suggestions. now i need to find when all my money will be here. oh, and about that trade, i don't know if it would be a good trade as to the fact that i need a 'bit more power. tone wise would be great though. but, yeah, just another year of saving that money that's not going to living, school, car, and i'll be good. thanks, ryan

5. In that case I'd say go for a 70's SVT. You might be able to find one for $500-600.

Mark

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    time to introduce you to the crimson Russian thunder!!!

Bassov Blues Boy (MIG 100B)

100 watts of Russian heavy thunder! Powered by four Sovtek 5881's with two 12AX7WA's and one 12AX7WB in the preamp section, the Blues Boy provides ultra lows and unbeatable warmth. Its sound is reminiscent of an Ampeg V4B or a Marshall® "Super Bass" rig. Dual inputs and master volume configuration allow for a wide variety of tones.

www.turnstyle.com/nsc/catalog.asp?r....0.5571&item=MIG-100B&category=sovtekbassamps

7. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Ryan, Is your Workingman amp loud enough? I would bet that Mark's V4B would blow it away volume wise. Remember watts are watts, but tube watts will appear much louder due to the distortion/compression characteristics of tubes.

If it were me, I would correspond with Mark about the condition (electronically and physically) of his V4B, have a tech install some Svetlana 6550's and check the filter capacitors, bias it up right and you'll have one loud rig.

Tapp