least favorite cab (followed by your favorite)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcake, Jul 26, 2018.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    after enjoying reading this thread, i decided to make a cab version.

my least favorite cab was a peavey 700 watt black window. i didn't like how it sounded, i blew it out with significantly less than half its claimed wattage, and warranty work was agonizingly slow - it was returned in over 6 months, by which time i already had a replacement because what playing musician could do without a cab for 6 months in the '90s?

my favorite cab is my GK neo 112 ll followed closely by my old faithful of many years, my carvin 18" rat fur cab. the GK sounds great - amazingly great for my taste. it made my all-time least favorite head sound better, and combined with my current head, it sounds as good as a bass rig can sound whether turned way down to bedroom volume or playing turned up. the carvin had boom, it had power, and while i'm not always a carvin cab fan, it sounded good whether i was playing metal, punk or even pop.

2. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    If I just consider the stuff I have currently, my least favorite are a pair of Ampeg 410s from the mid-90's. Dark and indistinct.

Favorites are my Barefaced Big Twin II, and Bergantino HD112.

pcake likes this.
  3. I had a Schroeder 215 folded style that I absolutely hated. Worst is, I traded an 810 for it and I loved the 810. I ended up selling the Schroeder and buying an even cooler 810, so moot point but there was a time in there that I felt really really terrible buyer's remorse. I keep trying to get away from the 810, but haven't yet so I'd imagine my late 70s Ampeg 810 is my favorite.

pcake likes this.
  4. Drifter_Bass

Drifter_Bass

Apr 5, 2017
    MPLS, MN
    Least Fave: Ampeg PF-110LF. As I stated in the amps version of the thread, Ampeg and I don't really get along too well. All I could get this cabinet to do was fart. Sort of loudly...sometimes. Just not my cup of tea.

Most Fave: Sears 2x12x15. I found and restored an old Sears Dept. Store cabinet that had 2x15's and 2x12's. The original speakers were pretty wimpy so I loaded it with Eminence's and now it's an essential part of my rig. It really packs a ridiculous punch and volume for larger/outside gigs. No FOH assistance needed :)

upload_2018-7-26_12-27-58.png

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Dead easy to answer this one! :)

Worst: Fender 2x12 as supplied with the 50W Bassman.

Best: Acme B2 2x10. I own four. I gig with two. :D

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Easy answer here, too. I agree the 212 bassman with the Fender Blackface head was a huge disappointment.

Then again, for assorted reasons, I feel about the same concerning the entire ampeg B-15 family, the SWR workingman's line, the celestion-equipped Marshall 812 stack, the Behringer BX1200 Ultrabass, and the Epiphone Constellation. May they all (almost) RIP.

Best? Hard to say, but I really liked my 4 ohm Epfani UL1 410, and 8 ohm UL1 210 as a 2.67 ohm 610. My current favorites are all flavors of fEARfuls, especially, the 12/12/6/1 and 15/6/1.

pcake likes this.
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I found the Constellation not too bad for the era, mid Sixties. Mine had a Wharfdale 15” driver when I bought it. :)

pcake likes this.
  8. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Every Schroeder I’ve played has sounded horrible. Favorite cabs are a bit of a toss between my old Glockenklang Quattro 410, GK Neo 212, and my Epifani Ultralight 112.

pcake likes this.
  9. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Worst was 2 Hartke 210XL cabs. I had hoped they would be somewhat similar to the 410XL or 115XL, but sadly they were not. Vertical or horizontal didn't matter. Hardly any volume or low end. They were sent back promptly.

Favorite is a Genz Benz UBER QUAD and UBER BASS 115t stack. Even separated they are killer cabs, but stack them together and WOW!!!! drool

DaveDeVille and pcake like this.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Worst: my first "good" amp...a Sunn Beta Bass 2 X 15 with matching head (79-80). The advertisement had a pic of Chris Squire with the admonishment "cut the crap!" so I figured it must be great. I feel so betrayed.

Best: (2) Acme B-2's or (2) Epifani 3 X 10's.

Riis

BassmanPaul, Arthur U. Poon and pcake like this.
  11. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    worst: a Vox Essex, way back when.

fave: Mesa Subway, the whole line, right now.

Jim Carr likes this.
  12. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Worst—my first amp, a Kalamazoo Bass 50 back in about 1967. Best—Euphonic Audio VL series cabs that I currently own, a VL-208 and VL-110.

13. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Worst? SLM Ampeg 410 HLF from about 1996. Based on weight alone. 110 lbs if I recall. The great sound was dwarfed by the back damage.
    Best? Schroeder 212. 38 lbs. It gets almost as loud as any 410 on the market today.

14. blip

blip

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
    I started life as a bassist using a pair of PV115 monitors as a stack. They sounded good and got crazy loud. The trouble started when I started dreaming without doing my homework. I liked the BW sound, so I got a loose pair and started using them. Had trouble hearing myself, so a buddy of mine chopped up an old cab for me and made it a slant cab. Not knowing anything about cab design (and not bothering to ask), I now had an untuned, randomly ported, undamped cab loaded with beaming 15s that'd rattle uncontrollably whenever you'd play a loud E. I had a woofer pointed at my face, so it actually worked pretty well for practice. Live use was where I began questioning the monster I'd created. Suffice to say it was kind of terrible. That was definitely the worst cab I ever tried to honestly play through.

Fast forward to spending a little time here reading about cabs. I soon found an Avatar 126 with a 3012 on the local cl. It sounded pretty good stock, but when I built and dropped in Greenboy's CBG crossover, that thing came alive! I know it's a nEarful at best, but it blows everything else I've had the pleasure of hearing or playing through out of the water! Full range - crisp highs without being piercing, deep lows without losing definition. It's spoiled me for lesser cabs.

Shout out to all the great people here helping the uninformed make better-sounding noise! I'd still be swimming in a muddy mess without you!

15. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    My wife has a favorite cab...

5AFC3403-73E4-4B05-8C5F-A6E5EBCF4831.jpeg

Ewo and pcake like this.
  16. Funkmabassup

Funkmabassup

Jul 16, 2013
    not worst cab, but biggest dissapointment too me was my Barefaced super-twin, very flat and lame sounding, too much low extension without sounding fat and the treble was just too far gone, my onstage sound was horrible at all my gigs with this cab(it was louder than hell tough )probably louder than a 8x10 stack) However I do belive these cabs can be good if you got a expansive eq and maybe a hi-pass filter, but thats not my cup of tea, I want simple and good sounding.

Got myself a Markbass 122 Ninja and now my tone is just were I want it, also I require very little volume too cut through really nice in a bandmix at the same time its sitting really good in the mix.

pcake likes this.
  17. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Not sure I want to think about which cabinet is my least favorite (although the ones that immediately come to mind are that Ampeg 2x10 that is usually paired with the miniature SVT, the old Hartke Transporter series 2x10, or any Peavey cabinet from the 70s or 80s) but I think my favorite cabinet is the Eden David-series D-115. Every time I hear one I think "Wow, that is exactly what I want my bass to sound like!" And then every time I lift one up I think "How can a cabinet this good sounding be this easy to move?"

Wish I had four of them :)

18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i hear ya on the ampeg 2x210 with the mini SVT. didn't like it with the mini SVT, tried it with several more heads, and disliked the tone with every one of those amps. i guess it's pretty popular here, but seemed weak and thin-sounding for my taste.

haven't tried/heard that eden, but it sounds great!

Bob_Ross likes this.
  19. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    You just reminded me of my ancient Hartke Transporter 115. Slightly heavy. Had a great frequency response between 500 htz and 5k.
    Try and get some low end punch out of it?
    Fahgetaboutit.
    Another band in my practice space decided to use it as a vocal main. Blew a hole in the aluminum cone. Had Larry Hartke recone it. Great job decent price, but took forever.

I finally threw a Black Widow 15 in the biotch. I think I left it in a subbasement practice space on Boylston Street near Berklee in Boston.

pcake likes this.
  20. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I really dont like the aggie sl112. Not sure how or why its a bass cab, but i couldnt get any bass out of it. Pretty much any ampeg cab i have tried i didnt like.

Favorite has to be my original henry 8x8 and my fearful cabs

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021