Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leather Bass Bag..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Rimas, Nov 10, 2005.

1. So Ive searched the internet fairly thoroughly, and I have yet to find a leather bass bag. anyone have any ideas?

2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    probably because that is a hell of a lot of leather... would have to be big pieces too.

i like leather too, but thats a bit much to buy, you know? would be super expensive and heavy too.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I used to have a leather trench coat. It was so heavy that I could only use metal or wood hangers when I put it in the closet. It would break plastic and bend wire. I'd imagine a bass case would be even heavier.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I've only seen one, back in 82 when I was at Berklee. I'm pretty sure it was custom.

They are heavy, expensive and when you get a stain on that sucker (from stuffing behind the ice machine in the kitchen of whatever restaurant or catering hall you're working in), it AIN'T coming out.

5. maybe they could make it out of dupont super stain resistant couch leather (if there is such a thing)

I just read "tonight at noon" and Mingus had one custom made. I think Ive also seen one of the seattle locals with a leather case, but ive never seen one for sale...

either way, a leather bag would be super cool.

6. I've got a Levy's leather bag for my slab. It came with the bass, but I'm pretty sure it's $200-300 to buy it new. It's really thick and protective, though, on top of looking incredible.
    A leather bag for DB would be sweet, but I don't even wanna know how much it would cost.

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

If interested in getting one made you could go down to the saddle makers.
    A good saddle maker is also very good at doing all kinds of saddle bags etc. and although expensive, would be able to custom make one for you. ;)

No idea how much it might run though... :rollno: