1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leather mute

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Funkluva, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Funkluva

Funkluva

Sep 22, 2018
    So I’ve done a lot of messing around with foam mutes stuffed under the strings on my Precision. While listening to A LOT of Jamo tracks, I got to thinking “ I wonder if the rubber mutes under his bridge ashtray hardened up over the years?” because his tone seems to have changed and gotten even warmer and more growly on the E string.

Anyway I played around with a lot of different stuff and this sounds pretty awesome through my v4b - not too muted and warm. It’s just cut down from a strip of leather from the craft store, threaded onto each string with tiny rubber bands. I tried different widths of leather and settled on about 3/8”.

I also mounted a LEGO thumb rest with double sided tape for a more sharp attack sometimes.

P.S. - I’ve been stalking this page for years, and I really appreciate you dudes!!

saabfender likes this.
  2. Funkluva

Funkluva

Sep 22, 2018
    F028A8DD-9D2A-4535-B316-E27B3107635A.jpeg 347DE274-0650-497E-BF9C-E51859838F42.jpeg 40C34E72-4557-493F-A3F2-49BB02B47452.jpeg

sears and saabfender like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Interesting idea, but I'd think the rubber band has as much or more impact than the leather. Could be wrong, but it's got to have at least some impact.

lz4005 likes this.
  4. Funkluva

Funkluva

Sep 22, 2018
    You’re probably right. I did one with a leather pad underneath only. I didn’t think it sounded quite as good. I think it’s probably a combination effect. I’ve tried it with rubber bands only, but that muted differently too.

JimmyM likes this.
  5. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think so. The leather had many times the mass of
    the tiny rubber bands.

Love the gizmo and plan to make a leather mute very soon.

Funkluva likes this.
  6. Funkluva

Funkluva

Sep 22, 2018
    Thanks, let us know how it sounds and if you come up with any new angles.

saabfender likes this.
  7. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Great idea; very creative and original.
    Only downside is that your have to take the strings off to remove?

Funkluva likes this.
  8. Funkluva

Funkluva

Sep 22, 2018
    Thanks Jim. I just threaded the leather through the rubber bands one string at a time. Not as fast to put in as foam, but about 20 seconds total.

Jim C likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021