1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Leave on effects for dark smiley face sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Two-Spirit, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Two-Spirit

Two-Spirit Steve Harris' biggest fan Gold Supporting Member

What are the effects you use for your main sound and why?

2. What is dark smiley face sound? Do you mean scooped with lots of bass and treble but no mids??

3. My only on all the time pedals are SP Ictineo for toneand Zoom MS100bt for air.

4. Two-Spirit

Yes

5. Two-Spirit

I was hoping for responses from bassists that use a lot of effects.

6. Two-Spirit

I was thinking about using a tc electronic flashback delay, maybe modulated. I have two sounds, no mids and mids.

7. Two-Spirit

Seems like there were more choices in floormount bass effect processors twenty years ago. I remember mf selling preamps with effects built in and stuff like that.

8. Two-Spirit

I want effects that are as good as the TC Electronics Toneprint pedals. I'm interested in experimenting with different effects.

9. I currently have a board with two separate channels split by a home-made ABY I built (my amp has 2 eq channels that can be used simultaneously). I have one channel that just has my MXR Bass Comp (mostly mids), which is pretty much always on, and my second channel holds all my effects (mid-scooped). The idea was to have a good basic tone out of one channel, and have the second to either quickly switch between "clean" and "wet" or have them both on for a nice blended sound.

I find I almost always use my Digitech Bass Whammy; sometimes as an octaver, and sometimes as a chorus. Since I also have a volume pedal in my effects chain I can blend in the amount of effect should I want to.

Cheers!

Two-Spirit likes this.
  10. Two-Spirit

I think I'm going to start with corona chorus and a vt bass

11. Two-Spirit

I think I'm going to start with corona chorus and a vt bass

12. For a while, I was leaving my Darkglass BK3 on at all times. Now it just gets turned on for the more "rock" covers.

Two-Spirit and Dean-oh like this.
  13. Oh man, I forgot to mention that my b3k is almost always on too. That little guy can do any sort of distortion you want!

Two-Spirit likes this.
  14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

My main tone comes from

Darkglass B7K Ultra

Tronographic Rusty Box

DOD fx10

Southampton Ictineo

I use these for me tonal base. I use an Electric Power Unit. It’s a wonderful amp, it just doesn’t offer a lot of EQ. Sounds great on its own but I like sweetening it up a bit with that stuff above. Those are my always ons.

Then I use the following a lot of the time to get my dirty tonzzzz

Dunwich ODB

Fuzzrocious Rat Tail w/ 2nd dist mod

Darkglass A/O

Custom Green Muff

I use all those for my dirty sounds. I would say my signal is effected with dirt around 90% of the time. I have a few more on my boards I use too but the ones I listed are the ones I use a lot.

All the rest is kinda just there for experimentation. The only other ones I’d say I NEED would be the Hardwire DL8 for delay, the Mobius (may soon be the Boss MD500 ;)), maybe my 105q wah and the TC Spectracomp for comp and more tonal blissfulness. I would say I NEED all of it haha but I really don’t. I could easily make a board with 10 to 15 pedals and be happy. Which I may do one of these days still. But I don’t feel the need to cut anything atm. My band is an original hard rock band and there’s only 1 guitarist so it leaves me a lot of room to move and mess with.

15. My always on pedals are (in order of chain location)....

Compressor
    Overdrive (mild)
    Noise Suppressor

Then I have my tuner, two fuzzes, chorus and phaser which come on as required, and a wah that has an auto return spring.

Two-Spirit likes this.
  16. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Good choices. The VT is Great at loud volume or recording because of it's tone shaping, adding a mid freq that cuts in a mix (Not a smiley face scoop) and a fat low end, I like the sub filter on because you don't need the ultra low, they get in the way of efficiency at high volume. If you set the dials to noon it will sound horrible, tame the high end and the drive to. I had the volume at about 9 am, surprisingly low too. Moving the Character clockwise raises the mid freq. center, the svt setting is about 10am. The tc toneprints are vast and I'm sure you'll fine a perfect chorus in there...

Two-Spirit likes this.
  17. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I was using a SAPBDDI as my main sound, and adding in a v1 SABDDI for the 'Oooomph' sound.
    Other than that, my SD Doubleback Compressor is always on.

Two-Spirit likes this.
  18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    My "always on" pedals are the TCE SpectraComp (default setting, knob fully counterclockwise. SUPER subtle), and a HPF set around 60Hz.
    I have an octave pedal, two drives, and a delay.
    And i've yet to find a setting where the super-scooped tone is useful outside of bedroom noodling and Fieldy from Korn.

As for the TCE toneprint pedals, you can use any of them on bass. It just depends on what effect you want and if you're willing to play with the toneprint settings.
    Actually, you can use just about any TCE pedal, toneprint or not, on bass. They're making great stuff these days.

Two-Spirit likes this.
  19. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Dual-band compressor (FEA, moderate compression because loud drummer + loud guitarist)
    Para EQ (WMD, to replace the onboard preamp and do most of the tone shaping)
    Cabinet simulator (OmniCabSim to glue everything together and make it sound awesome to PA)
    Limiter (MXR m81, because if I don't the soundguy will)

Two-Spirit likes this.
  20. OG sansamp is the pedal for mid scoop action