1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Leaving a band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Leftybass12, May 1, 2009.

1. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    So, I have recently left a band that I helped form. Before I left we had been a band for nearly a year. The reason I left is because after constantly telling my fellow bandmates to raise their dedication level, constantly having to plan EVERYTHING, and always seem to be the one to give an initiative to anything we did. I really was the heart and soul of the band. The only one that really followed my example was the guitarist. Also, I forgot to mention...we were a band of five originally, but about four months in our lead singer left, so our keyboardist took up vocals. With all this information being said, was it a wise decision to get myself out of this situation??

PS
    It was seriously a migraine the whole time, but ever since I left I have felt so relieved with my time now. I guess a good thing that came from this is that I did not burn any bridges with my former bandmates.

2. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    When you leave a group, always maintain those relationships unless they are destructive. People get used to having someone do all of the work. Things happen. This and similar situations have happened to myself. Your in the clear.

It also depends on the type of group. If it's a "family" thing where they want to keep the driving influence to be the bond between the members, it's a bit more difficult than if the group is an entity on itself. I'm a working musician so the former doesn't do that well for me so I also try to be upfront on my intents.

3. I couldn't agree more, never know when you might have to lean on those you've left behind. I've changed bands 3 times in as many months but I maintain the relationships, even fill in with either if they need me to do so & I'm not busy.

Why 3 bands in 3 months you ask?!?!?! Long story but 1 band split in to 2, following a song selection argument between the drummer & lead singer. I was filling in for both bands until a great opportunity came along that I just couldn't pass up!!! My new band has 40+ gigs lined up thru December & are averaging $100 per night they play and they are getting ready to raise their prices.

I would have been lucky to gig 20 times with both bands and make maybe half that per night. My former bandmates, while disappointed, supported me 100% to pursue the better opportunity.

4. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Thank you for the feedback!!

Sorry I didn't respond anytime sooner.........college finals are killing me

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Dont sweat it . You handled it well and did what you had to do. I just did the same thing and it was tough. What i hate is the cold shoulder i get finishing out the gigs with them till June. It makes me wonder if i should of but it was again.... the right thing to do.

6. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    It happens, i just left a project that i had been in since Febuary. I didn't feel like I was vibing with everybody...i never felt like i was playing in the pocket no matter how hard i tried, so i decieded it was better for me to move. It's always tough if you choose to leave because you're basically rejecting the others, not matter the reason that's not easy to deal with. I do hate the cold shoulder treatment, but I understand it too.

7. IMO you did the right thing. And you did it in a mature fashion, Now get thru those finals and on to another project. Best of luck with both.