1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leaving Darkglass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Highroler79, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Very Happy

90 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Some What Happy

23 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Sold them

74 vote(s)
    39.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    How do you guys fell about your darkglass pedlas?

I was very excited when I go my first pedal, and I liked the sound but the QC is terrible.

I made a Video about my experience.

dkelley, Garret Graves and Raman like this.
  2. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

I have had no problems with noise, QC nor with spelling Darkglass...since you asked.

I did not make a video.

3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I've had a couple of their dirt machines, and....neither of then was quite the sound in my head. I bought a harmonic booster, and it was a tad noisy, but.....I returned thet, and a while later bought a second one - i redid the gain structure on my pedalboard, and with that change, it works fine. So, on the 4th try, I'm a relatively happy Darkglass owner.

4. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    thx for the heads up I changed the thumbnail

Rottie Roo Roo likes this.
  5. DrMoustache

DrMoustache

Jan 9, 2016
    I got a B7k, and it was great. Then I got the Microtubes 900 v2, and it was *also* great.

Neither of them are a suitable replacement for that real tube sound, but I've tried a lot of different solid states, and they're among the best I've found. YMMV.

6. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I still love my VMT as an almost always on

tommyr01, deff, djaxup and 3 others like this.
  7. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    I loved the sound of the B7k too, until I started to have issues, shame because I did like the tone. Nothing compares to my old Trace SX400

rtav and DrMoustache like this.
  8. DrMoustache

DrMoustache

Jan 9, 2016
    Wow, that sucks. FWIW, I've had my B7k for about 4+ years with no issues, and I've had my 900 v2 for about a year, also with no issues.

Highroler79 likes this.
  9. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I've had b3k x2, b7k x2, B7KU x2, vmt X2, AO, AOm x2, AOU, X, X7, Harmonic Booster, Hyper Luminal X2.
    I currently have none on my board, but I keep going back.........I find that when I'm doing lots of solo practice I don't dig them, but when playing in a mix they just work.

Driven Crane and Highroler79 like this.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

There is no secret conspiracy to suppress the truth. "EVERYBODY" (as you said twice -- drama much?) does not have a problem with Darkglass. The obvious reality: no company is perfect, especially top-selling manufacturers such as Tech 21, MXR, Fender, or any other you care to name. If you search on any, it'll be easy to find what seems to be lots of complaints, and that's due to the massive amount of gear they sell.

I've owned and still own many Darkglass items -- a half-dozen pedals, two amps -- and they remain top tier in my gear rotation. The only bad experience I had was the known glitch that affected the 1st batch of X7 pedals (a fraction of them), but the company made it right for everyone. No big deal, especially given that I'd been bitten by the early adopter bug before (other companies).

Sorry you had a bad experience with Darkglass. Guess what: stuff happens. You apparently have a "one strike and you're out" policy, so okay: you do you, go ahead and abandon their gear. However it is not reasonable to cherry pick from the world wide webz and use stray anecdotes to slam DG for poor QC -- not without providing hard stats on satisfaction ratings and failure rates between a number of top gear companies, but you made no such attempt, you're just flinging spaghetti (to be polite).

Last but not least: it's childish to slam DG users as a "cult". But hey, I totally get it: clickbait often works. Best of luck with your YT channel, I'll try to remember to hit like and subscribe.

11. Zymba

Zymba Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2019
    This is gonna be good...

leto, dzcandemir and Highroler79 like this.
  12. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well, I am leaving this thread though. I thought it was going to be some exciting news, like Doug is leaving the company to become an actor, or Prime Minister.

13. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013

If you check the threds on here and on Reddit, they are littered with issue the same as mine, on a wide range of there products. On top of that they subscribe to the apple model of planned opalescence with the new and exciting model coming out next year.

Rottie Roo Roo likes this.
  14. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    I've encountered a few issues with Darkglass and won't down play it. However, customer support always ended up following through. I've moved on from Darkglass but appreciate that they are bass-centric

The only thing I've never cared for about Darkglass is some of the marketing, hype, and the fanboys. All of which can be a turn off, create over-bloated expectations, and skew perception of the product

dkelley, ltsal and Highroler79 like this.
  15. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I make a video every time I sell a pedal and call it a cult.

16. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I buy them and sell them. Not my gig really. Although the Darkglass Element is a really nice piece of gear so far.

17. gpTron

gpTron

Dec 15, 2020
    I use a dedicated power supply so I don't have noise issues.

tmw, Highroler79 and alembicguy like this.
  18. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Some kind of Wiccan stone magic thing maybe?

Gregory H, TNCreature, deff and 8 others like this.
  19. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Doesn't the term "Darkglass Cult" seem a little...overkill? Just a bit?

I'll show myself out.

20. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    these are my exact issues, I was being a little obnoxious with my title, but consumers should not stand for this type of BS.

Kijuer likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.