1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leaving Darkglass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Highroler79, Feb 22, 2021 at 5:18 PM.

1. Very Happy

90 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Some What Happy

23 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Sold them

74 vote(s)
    39.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    The only Darkglass pedal I've kept long term is my very old B3K (it is a Made in USA). I like the tone more than the newer stuff (Alpha Omega, etc.), so it just kept winning the one to keep.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I spent 25 years cranking my amps, clanging on round wound strings with a pick, and being generally too loud just so I could get a bit of punch, sizzle and clank. Tried so many different amps and techniques (even using a penny as a pick at one point!!) but it never worked right. Now I use an Alpha Omega and it does all that. Well. And I don't play anything close to metal. Very reliable piece of gear that stays always-on in my rig. Band mates even ask "Hey you remembered to bring the Darkglass, right?". I don't see any problems.

retroXvertigo likes this.
  3. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    No problems whatsoever with any of the Darkglass products I am using.
    Harmonic Booster: Love it, enhanced my sound glad I bought it
    Vintage Micotubes: Part of my overall sound
    Alpha Omega 900: Again I find nothing wrong with it and everything right. Paired with the VMT it gives me lots of options
    Darkglass 210 and 212 cabs: Really good. Over priced but I found them used for the right price. No regrets

4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Didn't watch the video or read all ten pages of the thread. That said, all of the DG gear I've had has been remarkably noisy and sensitive to ground loop/electromagnetic interference in a way that my other pedals aren't, regardless of power supply or other factors, it's true. I don't regard that as a reflection on Doug, who is a hell of a guy, or of his companies - just that his products don't work for me. C'est la vie.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'll be honest, I haven't dealt with Darkglass since they were basically a one-man shop so things may be different now but the customer service was always above and beyond great. I have never been anything short of a satisfied customer. I did sell my VMT but I really only bought it to try it, wasn't my thing. I would happily consider and recommend their products.

To each their own.

6. minimal

minimal

Jun 1, 2013
    I have two DG pedals, an Element and an Alpha Omega Ultra; both of which are amazing. I use a OneSpot CS6 and at one point had it pretty much maxed out with almost each output being split to two pedals. No noise problems whatsoever. Darkglass is expensive gear, but it's rock-solid as far as I've experienced. Would I buy another Darkglass product? Most definitely. Am I part of the Darkglass cult? Not really. I'm not buying every single product they have, nor would I continue to buy them if they actually went to crap. They put out great products and as long as they continue to do so, I'll place them high on my list when considering new gear.

I do find the "planned opalescence" comment hilarious though. Most every single company on the planet is constantly bringing out new versions of their products as well as completely new products. It's how companies stay in business for the most part. Sure, some companies will put out one product and just milk it forever, and that's fine, but it's also not how innovations occur. Plus, at least some responsibility has to be placed on the consumer here. If you see a company put out product A then awhile later they release product A.Plus then later A.Ultra, when they release product B you should know what to expect. So if you really like product B, but want more features, just wait a bit. Not only does it mean that you can probably expect more feature-rich versions later, but it also means you as the consumer can decide what price-point you want to go for. Is the $500 pedal too much? Ok, then go for the $300 pedal with a few less features. Also, just because the A.Ultra came out, it doesn't mean that the original product A is suddenly obsolete. A product's obsolescence is largely to be determined by the consumer. Are all those MXR and Boss pedals from the 70's so lovingly mentioned in the video actually obsolete because new versions came out? Maybe their next video should be about leaving the MXR and Boss cults...

Nephilymbass, DrMole and Nuage420 like this.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Closed for review

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.