1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leaving Darkglass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Highroler79, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Very Happy

90 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Some What Happy

23 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Sold them

74 vote(s)
    39.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Doug actually doesn’t work at DG at all anymore, he’s full time with NDSP.

That Muse QC patch sounds incredible: almost exactly like the album, which is super impressive considering how many parallel signals were used to create the original.

A RATM signature pedal from DG would be amazing, but The Machinist pedal from Barefaced that just came out is effectively the same thing.

Machinist

2. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I’ve owned quite a few DG products, and I liked them a lot. I currently have a Harmonic Booster which imparts a nice DG feel on the MBD-1 or Rusty Box when needed. Is it a cult? Maybe. Kinda like Fender lovers. Or Ampeg heads. Or those crazy strung-out flatwound addicts.

I like Darkglass. I would also like a planned opalescence pickguard. I even like Apple computers. My Apple desktops have always lasted and been usable WAY longer than most PCs.

And also, Doug is looking like he could wreak some havoc with a broadsword on an ancient battlefield. I like that, too.

3. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    very well put, thx for the feedback

Bassgeer likes this.
  4. Corigan

Corigan Addicted to Shaking Walls Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Outside of Atlanta, GA
    Right now I have my darklass pedals in a circle. I'm dancing in the middle of them naked while chanting gibberish. I belong to the cult.

I actually only own one DG product, I just wanted to make a joke at the cult comment.

5. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    I have an Alpha-Omicron. Build quality, fit and finish seem somewhat nicer than most pedals I have owned. Overall I'm "meh" about it, but I admit that opinion may be the fruit of not spending a significant amount of time with it. Which means I also cannot comment on its long-term durability.

Now, I'm off to brush my teeth so they look their best when I'm speaking in tongues.

6. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I’ve been chasing that dudes deadlifts for a few years: STILL haven’t caught him :roflmao:

EMoneySC2, retroXvertigo and smeet like this.
  7. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    FTFY

Highroler79 likes this.
  8. my VMT always stays on, no issues here

9. ltsal

ltsal

Dec 12, 2017
    Germany
    I had the VM Ultra and returned it rather quickly.
    I loved the drive sound of it but I had trouble to make the separate EQ section of the pedal work for me. There was a big volume difference with the drive turned on.
    It was just too loud for the way I wanted to use it.
    I probably should try the other Vintage pedals but my Sansamp YYZ should arrive any minute now.

Highroler79 likes this.
  10. ltsal

ltsal

Dec 12, 2017
    Germany
    I probably should mention that I’ve meet Doug and Nolly at the London Bass show a couple years back and they were the nicest guys.
    It was so nice to see Doug talking Nolly through the pedals while he was trying them out his new Dingwall 6 string.

Highroler79 and Fuzzbass like this.
  11. Valvehead

Valvehead

Jun 21, 2020
    Europe
    It's fun to finally see a new Beavis & Butthead episode. Thanks for sharing!

Highroler79, Fuzzbass and Joeykun like this.
  12. That post was neither broken nor in need of your assistance.

nor
    conjunction
    conjunction: nor
    1. 1.
      used before the second or further of two or more alternatives (the first being introduced by a negative such as ‘neither’ or ‘not’) to indicate that they are each untrue or each do not happen.
      "they were neither cheap nor convenient"
    2. 2.
      used to introduce a further negative statement.
      "‘I don't see how.’ ‘Nor do I.’"
    3. 3.
      archaic•dialect
      than.
      "she thinks she knows better nor me"
    adverb
    adverb: nor
    1. literary term for neither.
      "nor God nor demon can undo the done"
    noun
    Electronics
    noun: NOR; noun: nor; plural noun: nors
    1. a Boolean operator which gives the value one if and only if all operands have a value of zero and otherwise has a value of zero.
      • a circuit which produces an output signal only when there are no signals on any of the input connections.
        plural noun: NORs; noun: NOR gate; plural noun: NOR gates

13. I've never owned Darkglass; they've always seemed so high fidelity that it always made me wonder how it could sit properly in a mix, depending on your electronics.
    I think with combined comb filters (guitar/bass separation), this thing could sit right in with other distorted guitars/instruments.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Highroler79 likes this.
  14. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    What with the weird errors - tongue and cheek is my fave - I'm wondering if this is a parody thread. This thread will burn out soon due to planned opalessence.

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    How do you guys fell about your darkglass pedlas?

?!

Highroler79 and Fuzzbass like this.
  16. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    Think again.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Highroler79 likes this.
  17. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Ive never had any quality issues with them. I did have an AOU that was pretty noisy. But its a high gain pedal so kinda to be expected. That said, Ive sold all my Darkglass gear.

Highroler79 likes this.
  18. Well, you'll have to edjumacate me and spell it out.

"I have had no problems with noise, QC or with spelling Darkglass...since you asked.
    ..."

Let's rewrite that: "I have not had problems; not with noise, not with Quality Control, (n)or with spelling Darkglass..."... hmmm...
    What you're saying is "spelling Darkglass" is not kith and kin to "noise" and "QC"?

If it had been written "I have not had problems; not with noise, not with QC, nor with [insert related item here]" — items acceptable being perhaps "customer service" or "functionality" or...?

Am I on the right track?

Sorry to derail the thread, folks.

Highroler79, Fuzzbass and DrMole like this.
  19. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    OP kinda getting carried away with calling it a 'cult' although there are fanboys (like people who will own every single product they have and have them all hooked up at the same time which I REALLY don't get). But hey you talking about them ain't you. They're a successful company which has a really, REALLY good marketing department. They'll inspire brand loyalty.

Don't see any planned obsolescence, just products being updated as time goes by. I've got very, very early B3K (US-made model) that still works perfectly and can connect just fine with my other pedals and amps, so that kind of nixes the argument. Maybe it's missing some features of the new version (never bothered to check) but, like, who cares.

QC is good, haven't noticed any issues. I mean, my MT500 feels slightly less 'solid' than my Mesa D800, but by no means bad or flimsy. My old B3K does seem to feel a bit more solid than my HyperLuminal however, it must be said. Never had a problem with either though. The only thing that annoys me is the power input is on the side next to the input, which can make it super irritating when trying to cram them onto a small pedalboard. Performance wise they hit the spot.

They're a new, innovative company with a good niche and are putting out interesting products. Of course they'll end up with detractors. Sometimes products are defective. They've expanded rapidly in the last few years to keep up with demand, so it's inevitable that there would be teething problems. From what I see/hear their customer service does its best to solve any problems.

And, like, if their products just aren't for you, then so what. There are plenty of other companies out there for a reason. We're all different, init.

Highroler79 likes this.
  20. Own an Alpha-Omega and an X7. Really happy with the quality of each unit.
    The X7 ( set with mild distortion on upper frequencies only ) is the mainstay of my sound.

NeonVomit and deff like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.