1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leaving Darkglass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Highroler79, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Very Happy

90 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Some What Happy

23 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Sold them

74 vote(s)
    39.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    Well, it is neither/nor and either/or.

But my point - admittedly more than a bit snarky - was that it's kind of a dick move to criticise the OP's spelling of Darkglass. And it was funny that the guy who did that made a grammatical error when he was trying to embarrass the OP for his spelling error.

We all make mistakes. Well, I certainly seem to.

Feral Feline and Highroler79 like this.
  2. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    I had a VMT and thought it had good build quality, no noise or anything like that.

Tone is a personal thing though and I didn't keep it because I didn't like how it always boosted 'clanky' frequencies. I think it is 'vintage' as in older garage rock/punk/metal rather than blues/motown/soul, I should have known that beforehand though as that's more the Darkglass thing - it's what puts me off other Darkglass stuff, if the VMT is too clanky for me then I expect their other pedals will be too.

3. kaljultdgl

kaljultdgl

Oct 21, 2019
    I bought a B7K (v1) many years ago.
    It was my first darkglass product and first bass preamp.
    I have not thought about buying another bass preamp, so I think it's pretty good, but I haven't compared it to other similar product's so I can't say how good.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  4. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    His grammar was fine really wan't it, you should leave that bit alone. The rest is fair, attacking spelling probably is a poor thing to do.

5. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    Ok, whatever. He used 'nor' when he should've used 'or'. And my point was that if he was going to attack the OP for his spelling, he should've made sure his house was in order.

But it is what it is.

Highroler79 likes this.
  6. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

If it was a dick move to criticize him spelling Darkglass as Darklgass or whatever abominable atttempt- in his video title-
    I fully accept the title of grammatically incorrect dick.

Highroler79 likes this.
  7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I agree. I'm dyslexic, amd one thing that really gets to me is when someone points out my spelling or Grammer. Not every can help it.

old_skool likes this.
  8. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    giphy-2.gif

Highroler79 likes this.
  9. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    I agree. I was sticking up for the guy who was being criticised for misspelling Darkglass. And it wasn't just that the mistake was pointed out to him, it was how it was pointed out.

But really - none of this is really that big of a deal. I think the OP handled it well.

Highroler79 and AdamR like this.
  10. ltsal

ltsal

Dec 12, 2017
    Germany
    Warning rant incoming!

What the hell is going on here.
    How cares if he spelled it one way or another.
    Where talking about some bloody pedals and im sorry if I spelled some wrong.
    I speak three languages but that’s bedside the point here.

Rant over and I show myself out.
    Thanks you

Highroler79 likes this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Exactly what type of “BS” are you citing? All products and companies experience issues. But from my 30+ years of experience in the IT world, roughly 99% of the “issues” attributed to manufacturers and products were the result of user errors or abuse.

And for the record, I didn’t much care for any Darkglass pedal i’ve tried so far. But I don’t have any issues with the company or its products. I just wasn’t wild about how they sounded with my gear and me playing through them.

Which doesn’t make them the wrong choice. They’re just not a good choice for me. But so what? I’m just one guy out of many thousands of other players. So I wouldn’t read too much into my experiences with Darkglass.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  12. I loved my DG pedals. Owned the b3k finland, b7k us, vmt us. Sold them all cause i needed the money hehe. Very easy to flip. And my taste in tone also changed. Doug is awesome too. I remember, he sent me a handwritten mail with stickers and some small pedal parts for free... I guess its easier to make clickbaity videos these days vs high production vids. Good luck to whoever made the video.

Highroler79 and Fuzzbass like this.
  13. Didn't watch the video, I'm assuming it contains the same BS as all other DG hater rants. But has OP tried contacting DG about his issues?
    FTR, I've owned the B7KU, A/Om, AOU, and still j have the B3K and X7, not a single problem on my end.

Highroler79 and Fuzzbass like this.
  14. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    I have yet to own or even try anything from darkglass. Unfortunately I couldn't make it through the first 2 minutes of the video so maybe I'll have to try one for myself and base judgement on my own personal experience.

Highroler79 likes this.
  15. Evets1987

Evets1987

May 20, 2020
    Never had an issue with Darkglass. I kinda like my Darkglass amp more than the pedals.

16. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Let’s see, I owned a B3K USA model, Duality, Alpha Omega, Vintage, and found them all to be quality pedals. Well, my first Duality had some weirdness going on, and I contacted Doug. He got right back to me. I sent him the pedal, he checked it out, and sent it back to me quickly. Operator error. :D

When I left the D Class arena, I sold all but the Duality. My tastes had shifted when I went back to a big tube amp with a high-gain channel. I felt I got all I needed out of that, so sold the pedals to happy recipients.

Since then, I’ve been happy without a pedal for overdrive, or fuzz, or square-wave, but I did end up with an Aftershock on my board, somehow. I’m only using it at home though.

I guess the vid is not only about quality problems, but takes issue with the DG business model, one that’s made a bunch of money for other tech companies.

I admit I hit the “skip 10 sec” button several times, but I didn’t feel my mind changing as a result of watching it, and I doubt there are legions of folks waiting to jump on the DG hate-train.

Highroler79 likes this.
  17. Planned opalescence? Funny I never noticed that on my iPhone or the MacBook Pro work gave me to use. Maybe the lights aren’t right to see it...

Highroler79 likes this.
  18. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I didn't like the B3K or x7. But I do like the Hyper Luminal compression pedal, and the B7K Ultra.

I liked my MT900 V2 head until it started acting funny. DG's customer service is spotty. I asked about getting it checked out and they just gave me some troubleshooting advice.

Highroler79 likes this.
  19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Just a note on Darkglass using "planned obsolescence" as part of their marketing strategy. I bought the first B3K to be shipped to the US (serial number 007) in the chrome housing and I really dug the sound at the time.

I just visited the DG website and they still sell the US B3K V2. And the VMT. They even brought back the Harmonic Booster, which was one of their first designs. It's not planned obsolescence to consistently bring out new designs while also selling the very earliest ones too. That's just expanding your product line.

I don't currently own any DG stuff (though I've wanted to try the Hyper Luminal compressor for a a long time - it looks amazing) but I would if I needed a particular sound that their stuff could provide.

It's just gear choices. Get what works for you.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    I've owned most of their offerings and retired them all. Not bad, just became "blah" to me. Went back to a clean/dirty amp setup and im happy, even though it's more to load in.

Highroler79 and Goatrope like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.