1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leaving Darkglass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Highroler79, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Very Happy

90 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Some What Happy

23 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Sold them

74 vote(s)
    39.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    I think people just get annoyed sometimes when they buy a product and then a new improved version comes out a year later. I bought the MT500 like 2 weeks before the v2 was announced lol. Irritating for sure, but doesn't mean the existing products don't work perfectly well! I think he might not fully understand what the phrase means :p

The Hyper Luminal is awesome, A+ would recommend. And their stuff is way more versatile than their official demo videos show, they can literally do anything, not just grinding djent-type tones. Only showing them doing that is a disservice to the quality and versatility of the products imo.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  2. SiSoldier

SiSoldier Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles
    My favorite was the original B3K but sold it. Also, had noise issues with a B7K Ultra and the stomp buttons quit working very early. Moved on from both pedals, bought the luminal compressor and using Tech 21 pedals for overdrive now.

Highroler79 likes this.
  3. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Pedal designs can be ‘interesting’. I have an Envelope Phaser from Pigtronix. When it’s working it’s a stunning pedal; both the phase and envelope functions individually are top-notch, and using envelope to control phase shift is a fantastic thing.

Problem is the circuit board is mounted in the housing “upside down”. That is to say, all the components are on the underside when the pedal is on my board. And after X number of stomps, the ICs come loose in the sockets! At which point the thing becomes a white noise generator lol I’ve wanted to use hot glue or something to keep the ICs in place, but I’m leery of that.... if they still somehow work themselves loose while still being stuck there, removal might become a problem.

Highroler79 and Fuzzbass like this.
  4. Imagine a distortion/dirt pedal with complaints of noise, sorry that produces a big LOL from me.

Highroler79, Lowbrow, coyote1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    I like my Alpha-Omega and use it as a preamp for recording (it's definitely a keeper), but usually use either a Maxon SD-9 or JHS Bender for any sort of gain when "just playing". They just sound better with a Rickenbacker (to me).

Also, calling it a cult, and then falling back on "just joking" or "we were being clever - sorry you didn't get it" is weak sauce. While I appreciate the artistry of high quality ******** as much as the next man, this is just a low grade cop out. Either own your words or admit that it didn't turn out as you expected it would.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Fuzzbass likes this.
  6. Brich

Brich

Nov 18, 2013
    Ohio
    This is were the OP slides out and let's the rest of TB demolish this thread.

FWIW, no issues with my B7K ultra, always on, a dream to play.

7. bassmahn

bassmahn Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    My Element is getting more use that any of my DG dirt pedals. I never thought I would say this, but I prefer the Element to my Omnicab Sim.. Only wish the 1/4 output was on the left so I could put it on my pedal board.

willsellout likes this.
  8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Too Long/Didn't Watch ... and with 7 pages of comments so far the thread is pretty long, too.
    Is the upshot the constant new versions of expensive effects and too much hype on TB?

Highroler79 and coyote1 like this.
  9. Anything to get clicks on the internet I guess...

10. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I did the same with the 900 and then had a friend who could have got me a screaming deal on the 900v2. Doubly annoyed. Regarding your second point which is I believe much more important. I get that they want to promote to their core base, but really this is what gives you the reputation as a one trick pony. I have mostly just used my amp although I did have an X pedal for a while mostly used as a boost. I've never wanted to sound like any djent thing. I first found out about DG through Chris Johnson from Deafheaven, who doesn't sound anything like those people. I got to use his VU on a demo my band did and it sounded great and then investigated further. I still use the VMT almost all the time. If you constantly promote one type of sound though, people will think that is all you can do. Most of the pedals are really versatile if you spend a modicum of time with them.

As an aside, the OP's post literally sums up most of what I hate about the internet and the dumbing down effect of LCD BS and posting videos and posts just to troll. Dude (OP) there are plenty of things to make up drama about. Darkglass just isn't one of them. There's no CVLT. You make light of everyone that happens to like their stuff when you say there is. No manufacturer is without issues, but DG probably has some of the best customer service out there. This is just a fact.

Highroler79, NeonVomit and Fuzzbass like this.
  11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    leaving darkglass??? i thought it said LOVING darkglass! :cool:

12. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    this thread is pure gold.

Highroler79 likes this.
  13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    My issue with things like this is that it takes years, a lot of work and a ton of luck to actually build something but a cellphone camera and click-baity title to tear something down.

MDBass, DrMole, johnk_10 and 4 others like this.
  14. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    Hardly strong enough to tear DG down. The guy's got very few subs, the thread is mainly against his approach and in spite of everything the DG CEO has replied on the YT vid offering to reach out. Man, I could not be the DG CEO, I'd have probably started raging back on YT and made my company look bad.

Found the video unwatchable but then again, i have exactly zero followers on YT so I suppose I should hush.

15. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Yeah totally. I never gave any thought to getting a DG amp, figured what was the point. I then tried one at the local dealer here and actually loved the amazing clean sound with just a touch of the VST in there for top-end presence and a hint of tube-like drive, just totally hit the spot and was what I was looking for. I never would've expected it! I figured since it also has the B3K built in, it's a good deal.

deff and Fuzzbass like this.
  16. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve owned a compressor and a preamp pedal from Darkglass. Both were very nice, but I let them both go. I don’t think I’d buy another one.

Highroler79 likes this.
  17. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I echo your sentiments. Honestly, the amp sounds pretty great without any of the MT engine on. For a while I was running it clean with a T21 DP-3X and it sounded great with that. Every time I try another OD or Distortion box I end up coming back to the VMT on the amp because it just sounds better to my ears and most of the people I have played with than the other boxes.

NeonVomit likes this.
  18. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Looking at the poll, it actually looks really good for Darkglass.

40% have had one and then sold it. That's probably a low number for the pedal industry.
    50% have bought and kept one(or multiple DG products). That's a huge number in the pedal industry. Plus the second owners are probably loving them too but at a better entry price.

I will certainly keep my ears open for any weird noise but My B3K is one of my favorite pedals ever.

Highroler79 likes this.
  19. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I like the Darkglass sound, especially for the really hard & heavy stuff.
    My B3K handles the heaviest 20% my dirt needs, while my GED-2112 handles the rest.

20. WarwickE36

WarwickE36

Oct 28, 2010
    I watched as much of the video as I could before making a comment. I have no DG equipment so I have no dog in this fight. Out of curiosity did you try their troubleshooting tips? It looks like you have quite a few pedals powered on that board. I went to dark glass' website and went to their F.A.Q. and found troubleshooting for the complaint regarding 10kHz noise (which seems to tie with yours.) From their site:

"THE PEDAL IS NOISY

Please check:
    - Are your cables correctly grounded?
    - Are you near electromagnetic sources? like AC, fluorescent lamps, transformers, etc
    - Is your bass wired correctly and, if active, with fresh batteries?
    - Are you combining the pedals with other high gain pedals or compressors at the same time?
    - Are you using a cheap switching power supply?
    - Are you sharing the power supply with a digital pedal like a multiFX, delays, reverbs, etc?

Analog distortion pedals are most sensitive to the quality of the power supply. Digital ones are not that sensitive because they have their own internal regulated power supply (they work at 5v internally)
    Generic transformer power supplies are not well regulated and will usually introduce 50/60 hz hum in high gain circuits.
    Switching supplies work at much higher frequencies and will introduce 10kHz hiss or a high pitched whine.
    We strongly recommend you to get a good quality regulated supply from e.g. Truetone, Styrmon, Cioks or Voodoo Labs.

also, please check if you are sharing power with a digital pedal, as they will also introduce hum or whine into the power line.."

Have you tried the suspect pedals with a one spot 9v or with all other pedals disconnected from the power source? In multiple outlets throughout the house? It's curious that at point you mention you never noticed it 'til you took it somewhere else then it started happening. Maybe it's a really simple fix.

Now to go slightly off topic....

I work with YouTube influencers through my business on a very regular basis. It is a complex beast to say the least. Each influencer is different and has different goals. For some it's monetary, plain and simple. For others it's to feel their opinion matters. Some truly want consumers to be aware of the pros and cons of any particular thing they are passionate about. For many it starts with one goal and changes to another.

I think in depth reviews are great and appreciate the influencers who choose to format their approach in a multi step approach. Sep 1, unboxing and initial impressions. Step 2, product demo and all it's features. Step 3, revisit the product down the road, is it still holding up?

The key is to be consistent and the growth will come but it isn't necessarily as fast as other methods. When a YT influencer starts putting out only hype videos or only hate videos for me a red flag goes up. Hype = cash / Hate = views IMHO.

Highroler79 and klaymaster like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.