1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leaving Darkglass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Highroler79, Feb 22, 2021 at 5:18 PM.

1. Very Happy

90 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Some What Happy

23 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Sold them

74 vote(s)
    39.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Greenthumb

Dr Greenthumb Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Montreal, Canada
    I've had a made in Finland B3K for close to 10 years and never had any problems. It's not obsolete by any means. I could get a wider range of tones from a B7K yes. I don't need it. I completely agree the DG tone is not for everyone of course. Doesn't change the fact that many people like Darkglass products and had great experiences with their customer support. Doug used to post here quite a bit and would always try to make things right for whoever had a problem. Now obviously the company has grown and with growth will always come some issues. We haven't seen a hoard of posts about people being left in the wind by Darkglass. Of course some people will have bad experiences. That's true of EVERY pedal maker. This is basically trolling for views..

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 11:06 AM
    MDBass, Nuage420 and Fuzzbass like this.
  2. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    Love Darkglass stuff, I own an older original B7k and a first run Hyper Luminal. The B7k is fantastic and quiet, the Luminal is the same way but it does have a power bug.

Nothing too bad but when I fire up my power brick the Luminal glitches, won't produce anything but intermittent clipping noise until I unplug and plug it back in. Works perfectly fine every time but yeah it is an annoying problem for an expensive compressor to have.

This was well documented in the hyper luminal talkbass thread but I was late to the party as it seems to be an issue with power bricks only. I reached out to Darkglass to see if they can do anything for me and they want me to send a video of the issue. I guess I will follow up here if the customer service isn't up to par.

Highroler79 and Nuage420 like this.
  3. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    shad
    [SHad]
    NOUN
    1. a herringlike fish that spends much of its life in the sea, typically entering rivers to spawn. It is an important food fish in many regions.

MDBass, Fuzzbass and deff like this.
  4. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    It's not the only pedal that has issues with the power brick. A guitarist I play with bought one. He was running a Throat Locust which runs at 18 and 9. When he would stop playing it sound like a police siren. He tried every slot. Then we hooked it up to my power supply and lo and behold, no more noise at 18 or at 9. I wanna love everything Dunlop makes. I really like them as company. But I've heard of too many issues with that power supply.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:00 AM
  5. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    Yeah mine is a Truetone CS 6 which I believe Darkglass recommended to me personally when I asked them so that does kinda suck but I think this is more of an issue with the first run of the pedal than the power supply. Oh well, I'll just have to go through with the process and see. Maybe I'll have an excuse to get one of the limited edition black ones to match all my other pedals.

Highroler79 and deff like this.
  6. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I can't read anymore.
    I'm leaving the poor spelling and grammar clickbait troll cult.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  7. DrMoustache

DrMoustache

Jan 9, 2016
    Not to belabor this further than it's already been belabored, but "nor" is perfectly acceptable in the context in which it was used. It is clearly grammatically correct ("or" and "nor" are both conjunctions, so fill the same role in the sentence grammatically speaking), which means that the disagreement is fundamentally stylistic in nature. Most folks, at least in America, suffer from being taught style guidelines in the guise of grammar. For example, "don't end a sentence with a preposition" is not a grammar rule, but a style guideline. "Neither/nor, either/or" is also purely a stylistic consideration.

Once it's established that the disagreement is stylistic, then it becomes a question of which style is being used, as there are several widely-accepted styles, such as AP, Chicago, MLA, etc. Not to mention that most folks use a vernacular that's a composite style based not on any specific agreed-upon style guide, but rather based on what they were taught in high school by people who, themselves, likely didn't have a firm understanding of the language.

So at the end of the day, policing someone's stylistic choices is pretty pointless, as there's no firm "single source of truth" regarding style, so as long as you can understand what they're saying, you should probably just leave them alone.

Source: I have a Master's degree in Literature and taught writing at a university.

ANYWAY, carry on roasting each other about devil-worshipping pedal cults, or whatever this thread is about now.

8. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I love all of my DG pedals, and my Boss pedals, and my MXR pedals... The ones that I don't really dig I box up for a little while then pull them out and try them solo with different amps and basses and usually discover that I just wasn't using it properly to achieve what I want. For example... I can get the "darkglass tone" using my Angry Driver and M80di clean channel split with an LS-2. I can get it as well by swapping the Angry driver with my OBD-3. Oh I can build the tone using just my Gt1000core. Or, I'll just plug in my B7k and quickly dial up what I want. My only porblems is the Hyper Luminal in FET does some craziness onces or twice a month (i use it daily for hours at a time) I'm hearing this is a common issue and will be sending it to @Darkglass asap and I'm confident they'll fix the issue and return it.

Highroler79 and DingwallDingus like this.
  9. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    I have issues with the FET all buttons in mode. The metering doesn't really move but like you said apparently this is common and I always keep it on that setting as well.

10. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I like BUS just past half and FET all in. Then use time, blend, and compress knobs to make adjustments. i leave the output at noon. I only use Sym when I want to do some slow dark jazzy slide stuff on the bridge pickup.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I thought the B7K was a great pedal. Good standalone preamp, overall aggressive. It didnt super-agree with my bass (many pedals dont because it has pretty hot 18v electronics) or give me the sound from the Nolly vid, nothing near. I have an awesome rig anyway, so it wasnt hard for me to sell it.

I think they are a good company pretty consistent products and you can tell they aim high with their designs. Price would be my main complaint.

Highroler79 likes this.
  12. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    I love my vintage ultra. It still does exactly what it’s supposed to do a couple years later. You don’t HAVE to upgrade to the newest revision unless you really want whatever new feature they’ve integrated. I’ve found that the DG stuff is the best in dense/loud mixes. I’ve tried a LOT of the most well loved OD pedals on talkbass and none work as well for me as the vintage ultra. As always, your results may vary.

deff likes this.
  13. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    I understand what you are saying, though I disagree about or/nor being stylistic - perhaps that use of nor is nonstandard, but one could argue (reasonably so) that it is grammatical, as or and nor are correlative conjunctions. So maybe, in everyday usage it's totally okay - which is true, as any of us could understand what was intended, which is the point of language - but it is a grammatical construction.

Of course, I don't actually care - which seems to be lost on just about everyone who has responded. The only reason I posted that was because the first person who responded to the OP rudely made an issue of his spelling error. I was proving a point about glass houses and rocks.

Source: I can supply a copy of my CV if you want to see it.

Highroler79 and deff like this.
  14. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    Ironically I never use Sym and I came from a Super Sym originally haha. I can definitely see a place for the darker more vintage character but if I had to pick one I'd pick the FET all buttons mode, I feel like it's a good mix of high end roll off, more aggressive harmonics and a light tube OD.

I'll ask them about the FET metering problems I'm having when I send them my video. Do you have these same issues or is it something else?

15. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Same issue, clipping crazy noises no signal getting through it just goes bonkers. I unplug it and plug it back up and it's fine.

16. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Sounds like the power supply ramps up voltage slowly.

deff likes this.
  17. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I tried it with a few different power supplies. I use a voodoo on my board, I used a boss PSA and a 1spot with it by itself. It does it regardless of what I use but most often with the voodoo. All 9V

Highroler79 likes this.
  18. MD-BassPlayer

Jun 19, 2003
    Spelling errors of the thing you're panning and "or" versus "nor" are slightly different levels of errors, IMHO. But, carry on.

19. MD-BassPlayer

Jun 19, 2003
    I had one for awhile, can't remember which power supply I was using.

20. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I'm slowly buying one of everything lol. A little MXR ISO for my mini board and a Cioks to potentially replace the voodoo will be next. Not that there is anything wrong with the voodoo, I'm just new to this pedal game and figure I'll give whatever I can get my hands on a shot.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.