Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leaving for my first blues jam in a few hours. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    My instructor, David, wants me to come sit in at his blues jam tonight. This will be only the second time I have played in front of a crowd but I'm totally psyched and not even that nervous. He'll be calling out the chord progressions before each song. He says everyone is real nice and nobody will tell me I suck (I hope so). :p

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Cool, I wouldn't mind being in your shoes right now.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    One word:
    Listen

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    What he said plus these two words: have fun.

:bassist:

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Take out your 8 string and play only 32nd notes on nothing lower than your G string. Those old blues guys really dig that.

;)

Good luck and have fun. Sounds like it's going to be a totally relaxed atmosphere. Take advantage of that and soak up as much as you can.

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    What he said pluse three words : Piss before gig.

7. In all seriousness I'm really looking forward to hear how this turns out. I really need to find a teacher. :meh:

8. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Leaving now. Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'll let yall know how it goes.

:bassist:

9. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Well, I'm back. Hangover and all.
    :rollno:

I didn't get to play last night and really didn't want to considering that the situation was totally different than I was led to believe. I thought it was going to be a revolving door of different drummers and bassists with everything being improv but it turned out to be a cover band. I think his jams on wednesdays at a different bar are more like the above.

Anyways, simply put they were amazing. Their bass player, John Compton, was a god :eek: ! Not a single flub during a 2 hour set. Their drummer, also named John, was tighter than a you know what. David was nothing short of soulful on the guitar and mic. It was really a shame though. The bar was more than half empty and all the people were seated as far away from the band as possible paying no attention. I was the only person that clapped inbetween songs :( .

I talked with all of them and they were extremely nice. They offered to let me play but by this time I was too drunk. Me and David picked out some songs I have to learn for next time.

1) Interstate Love Song---STP

2) Wicked Garden---STP

3) Born on the Bayou---Creedence

I already know Wicked Garden and the other 2 I'll figure the majority of out tonight. Then I'm gonna play them over and over till I hate them :p .

10. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Make sure you play out as much as possible. As a bass player, learning to play with a drummer is key. You can only get there by doing it. So do it a lot. As I have said infinity of times . . . everybody needs a bass player. Enjoy it dude. Some day soon you won't be able to count the number of gigs you've played. Here's some more advice ... NEVER leave your wallet backstage. ALWAYS have it on you.

11. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Same goes for cell phones nowadays. I've lost 2 cells in the last 2 years due to curious hands at gigs, and both were left in what should be a management/musician's only area.

12. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Another piece of advice: stop drinking when the potential exists to step into the spotlight. Nobody to blame but yourself on that one.

13. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, I've kinda been kicking myself in the arse over that too. I didn't mean to get drunk, it just kinda happened :oops: . I guess I was kind of nervous and over did it on the liquid courage. Truthfully it wasn't the playing in front of people aspect that was making me nervous it was that I thought it was going to be improv. I'm relieved a million times over that it won't be improv next time.

I have so much practicing to do. I can't wait to get home!!!!

:hyper:

EDIT: I'll leave the alcohol alone till I get done with my songs. :cool:

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Was this a dry joke? If not, I don't know what would ever compel someone to leave their wallet backstage?!?!