1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leaving gear at venues

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, May 19, 2019.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    was asked to play an after party that takes place after an upcoming concert. Problem is that I’m going to the concert.

I’m not leaving my fear in my car at the show. B/L says the venue offered to let us keep our gear there. That doesn’t make me feel any better and I know I won’t be able to enjoy the show thinking of my gear being out of my eyesight.

Am I being a paranoid freak?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends upon the place you are playing. Unless there is a locked room, I would be concerned.

Is this a place anyone has access to?

3. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

Looks like it. It’s a bar.

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You must face your fear, for only then will you be able to move forward, with your life.

Confunkalicious has spoken...

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A bar? My cab, maybe. Nothing that can be carried away unless there is a locked room, or someone I trust is watching it.

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

From experience....Big sized stuff (810 cabinets, 412 cabinets, large P.A. cabinets) are safe.
    Smaller stuff with a lower value (mike stands, cords, lights and the like) are probably safe.

Small stuff that are easily carried and has a high value (small 112 guitar cabinets, small 210/112 bass cabinets, mikes, cymbals, guitars, basses, amp heads) can and DO walk off if the circumstance permits!

7. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    Not ever.

8. MG Wolf

MG Wolf

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    This.

chadds, retslock, DJ Bebop and 5 others like this.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    So who's available from your group to stay with the band's equipment? I mean, not everyone is going to the concert, right?

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Charlzm, Quinn Roberts and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Only the paranoid survive.

11. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Follow your gut. You know in your heart of hearts, anyone who benefits from you taking this risk, would not step up and compensate you if something happened to your gear.

mrcbass, retslock, bobcruz and 3 others like this.
  12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    No locked room? Don't know the manager and/or very little experience playing there? Nope! Here is an alternative; get friends to bring the gear to you in a separate vehicle and later in the day. You can pay them a small fee to do it. Parents around to help? They can be a great resource. Question: aren't you going to miss some of the concert when you are unloading your gear and setting it up on a different stage?

DJ Bebop and gln1955 like this.
  13. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    Ohh no.......leave only the big stuff and even then i'm wary of my gear being left at some bar, unless someone you trust is watching or like said above in a locked room.....Anything small and expensive and that i can carry comes with me.......your not being paranoid.....just smart.

Frankie Fender and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    How much are they paying you?

That will factor in the equation immensely. If it cannot fund the cost of security measures, gear insurance, or replacement of stolen gear, then no way.

retslock likes this.
  15. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    FWIW, when there was a long break after sound checks, etc., we use to use long bicycle cable locks to attach guitar cases together and to amps that were left on stage. It won't stop a thief who has time, but it will certainly slow 'em down when other people are around.

16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    That’s when I go to my ‘expendable’ gear, the old-school heavier amps that have no resale value whatsoever but perform really well. But I’m for having my stuff there, just with some vigilance to keep it reasonably safe.

jerry, lfmn16, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  17. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I like the bike lock idea... as an option you could borrow a Rottweiler and attach it's leash to the guitar case handle ... that way when your gear gets stolen at least you'll know they were dog lovers.

18. All the gear goes into the car when I'm done. All. That's the safest place.

LowActionHero and MrLenny1 like this.
  19. You must live in a much safer place than me if you think the car is a safe place for gear. The safest place for gear is wherever you are standing there staring at it.

The San Francisco Car Break-In Tracker

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    "The only thing we have to fear is gear itself" - Churchill (probably).

I've done it in places I know are safe. YMMV depending on where you are.