leaving it plugged in??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Si-bob, Jan 8, 2002.

1. i have heard that if u have active pickups, and u leave the jack plug in your bass (after a practise or whateva), it drains the battery. Is this also true of Active/Passive switchable electronics, if i have my pickups switched to passive, and leave it plugged in, is it still gonna drain the battery?
    My head tells me no, but i wanna be sure

2. Well, whilst I can't speak for all basses your statement is, in the main, true.

The jack socket is usually used to switch the battery(s) on and off. There are various ways of doing it but it usually involves making / breaking the battery -ve connection for a single battery circuit. Dual battery, split rail electronics requires a slightly different approach.

There is another point, too. Leaving a jack plugged into it's socket could eventually strain the socket's contacts.

3. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    you could just un plug it, it dosent take too much effort and it is better to be in the safe side, also if you are leaving your lead plugged in, watch it dosent get bent or it could get dammaged and end up screwing with your sound,
  4. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Well, I have active/passive electronics on my Carvin and that's definately how mine works. When the lead is plugged in, the electronics are switched on, regardless of what position the volume pot is in. (I found this out the hard way) :(
  5. whats the volume pot got to do with it?

6. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Presumably nothing, but I'd previously suspected that it's position *could* effect the rate of battery drain when the lead is plugged in. Honestly don't know for sure though.
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

On Carvins, you switch from active to passive via a push/pull switch located on the volume pot.

I think it depends on the bass. My L2500 will work WITHOUT a battery in the passive position. I think that the battery is not draining when in passive mode. I once had an LB75. It definately did drain when in passive mode. You could find out easily enough with a multitester. Maybe I should do that myself now that I think about it. I'll report back tomorrow with the results.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Take a look at the jack itself.

It has to be a three conductor jack to act as a power switch. If it'sa two conductor jack on a bass with switchable active/passive mode than you'd be OK but I've never actually seen such a beast.

That's because if the active/passive switch was also a power switch, you'd get pops in the output when you changed modes.

Hey, it's easy enough to get into the habit of unplugging the cord at breaks.
  9. hey
    thanks fer your inputs
    it definatly 'pops' wen i change from active to passive :), and i tried taking the battery out, and it still worked in passive mode, didn't look at how the switch was wired up.
    i'm getting into the habit of unplugging now :)

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    You'll shoot your eye out kid...

Also, you'll drain the battery and short the jack by leaving it in.