Leaving pedals plugged in

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowfrequency, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Hi all (this is my first post),

I have a Zoom 506II multi-effect pedal, and am wondering about leaving it plugged in all the time. My current setup makes reaching behind my amp to access the wall plug terribly inconvenient.

I saw this post, but wondered if the Zoom was any different seing as it appears to be "always on" when plugged into the wall.

Thanks kindly in advance.

2. All stomp boxes are "on" when the input cable is plugged in. If you're not using batteries it shouldn't be a big deal, aside from the obvious don't spill any liquids on it. Multi-effects aren't that different from stompboxes.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's a waste of energy, that's all.
  4. Agreed.

I suppose what I'm really interested in is how much energy is wasted by leaving this thing plugged in. I mean, it goes through bettaries relatively quickly, so how much of a drain is this causing when left plugged in 24/7.
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why, are your electric bills getting out of hand or something?

6. No, just curious.
  7. uhm.. i don't mean to sound denigrating or something.. but ehm.. don't mains adapters have 2 plugs ? one that goes in mains and one that goes in the pedal.. why reach for the mains plug when you can de-plug the one on your pedal ?

i have my mains adapter plugged in perm. but i de-plug the other end ( pedal end )

no pedal = no electric circle = no mains usage.. right ?
  8. some walwarts advise you to remove them from the socket if not in use because it may overload and become damaged and unuseable....
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not true. Those transformers are still drawing power, stepping the 110/220V from the mains down to 9V. Touch one when it's not plugged into a pedal (but still connected to the mains); the heat you're feeling is dissipated mains power.

Of course, it's a tiny amount of electricity.
  10. How about using a power strip? Just leave the pedal plugged into the strip and turn it on and off using the switch.

No extra power used. No plugging and unplugging. You can even get a really cheap one if you don't care much about the surge protection.