1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leaving the sticker/plastic on a new bass (POLL)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Nov 5, 2018.

1. offensive to my sensibilities

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. not my problem

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. cool!

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I was doing some random searching and saw several threads on other instrument forums about people that leave the sticker on the pick-guard of their new guitar. It seems that people are unanimously annoyed by it.

Personally, I don't care what other people do with their basses/guitars that THEY paid THEIR money for. But I might be in the minority when it comes to this. I just don't understand why leaving the sticker on you new bass/guitar is such a taboo thing and why it annoys other people so much.

I've heard the reasoning that it's boastful or showboating (or a symptom of being a hack). I am genuinely confused and want to hear what bass players think of this phenomenon.

What say you?

and no. I don't have product stickers on my basses :roflmao:

These are what I'm talking about:

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 4.09.04 PM. Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 4.09.24 PM. Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 4.10.57 PM.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If I was planning on selling it or thought it was a likely possibility, leaving them on would make sense. Same for the film over the pickguard or leaving case candy intact. Some buyers might prefer the “newness” that that would imply. That’s the only practical reason I can think of. Besides that people do all kinds of things for no apparent reason.

JRA and organworthyplayer337 like this.
  3. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    One of the best feelings in this world is taking the stickers off of your new bass.

The hate may be backlash from the New Era sticker being left on caps. Nothing says I’m a douchebag better than leaving that sticker on your hat. A bass, however, is a totally different story. I’m just sayin’, that may be why people disagree.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  4. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Probably just cause most people think of their bass as a tool or extension of oneself. An attempt to preserve the newness of it just feels counterintuitive to most players. They want to connect and indentify with the wear that develops over time.

5. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I just bought a SB2 tribute from a TBer that had the sticker on it and I really liked that it was there. If it's not a player then I say leave it on. But I'm the type of hopeless fool that thinks I'll own every bass forever and I'll never want to play anything else. Then a month goes by...

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Where's the carrots? o_O

7. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    The "new case smell" should intoxicate the senses to the point where seeing the sticker should enrage you enough to rip it clean off.

I believe that "new case fumes" are considered carcinogenic in the state of California.

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Leaving the wrapper on is just being non-committal about your purchase...like leaving the tags on your clothes if you aren't sure you are gonna keep em.

If you know you are keeping them and still leave the wrapper on...well that just seems like some sort of weird mental thing, but then again, people do buy toys and leave them in the package so perhaps people think that someday having the sticker on their bass will make it worth more or more desirable for a sale?

At the end of the day, you do you and if keeping a sticker on your bass helps you sleep at night, then go for it. If someone else keeping a sticker on their bass prevents you from sleeping at night, then seek help.