LeBron James high school career is over

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by David Watts, Jan 31, 2003.

1. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
  2. LaBron James is scum, and he is overrated. Has a mouth like an out-of-work truck driver too; every other word out of his mouth when he is talking to his friends is that african-american racial slur everyone loves. :rolleyes:

They live in a housing project, and of course she totally has the money to buy him a Hummer H2 with a video game system, 400W stereo system, and a DVD player installed?

I stopped watching basketball when I realized hockey was just better. There are only two sports to me now. :)
  3. i wish hockey was better. Hockey has gone into the crapper much like baseball

but I digress

This was a total setup. Agents and/or adidas/nike. didnt want him to be a high schooler for another second. the Hummer they thought would be Waaaaay to easy to cost him his eligibility, but the apparently my next door neighbors to the west we a tad too blind to see setup
  4. he doesnt need the NBA when he will sign a $20 million shoe contract over the weekend. (objection your honor; speculative and slanderous)
  5. we live in an "entertain me" world. There are many forms of entertainment. This one happens to have millions paying millions to further it
  6. True.

Hockey, sadly, is following the same path. (coughcoughcoughredwingscoughcoughcough) No offense to GOOD Wings fans who grew up living and breathing Octopi :D

If teams are so anxious to leave the nation that spawned this sport I love, then what good are they? I'll watch Olympic and Junior league hockey, thank you very much.

Quebéc is gone.
    Winnepeg is gone.
    Ottawa is bankrupt, despite having a great year.
    Calgary isn't doing great.

I hate a league that makes you "buy" talent....and hockey, soon, will be just as bad as baseball, which is DOWNRIGHT DISGUSTING.
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    yeah but he'll never live down the fact that everybody in the world knows he got a hummer from his mother!!! :eek:
  8. Ah..........didn't consider that, SMASH, excellent point.
  9. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    This is very funny.

I thought about this situation a bit more. He never planned to go to college, so the amateur status thing isn't a big deal, however, I can't believe anyone, even nike, would give him a large contract before he becomes a pro player. Granted, if he is the next kobe, corporations might be willing to take a chance, heck, the competition between the major shoe manufacturers must be intense. Still, wasn't there a high school player a couple of years ago who washed out badly and tried to kill himself by swallowing a bottle of aspirin? Nobody is buying shoes because his name is on them.
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    How is it bad parenting? She got a legal loan, and bought her kid a car for his birthday. Is that any different than what any other parent does on any given day?

I mean, it's not like he won't pay her back the second he signs one of the 1000 endorsements he's going to get. Or, his signing bonus....or, his first NBA paycheck.....

As for no one giving him an endorsement before he signs with a team, I find that hard to believe. Now that he is no longer eligible as an amateur, they will be beating down his door to get him before anyone else gets him to sign on their dotted line. I mean, the kid filled arenas around the country playing high school basketball. Imagine how many NBA tickets he'll sell?

Sure, he screwed his HS team (assuming they can't win without him), but he did the best thing for his career. He's still a kid, and no one said he had the have the best judgement in the world. If you were still in high school, and thought of as the greatest thing to happen to basketball, you might get an ego, too.

Hopefully, with age, he'll mature into someone worth respecting. But, if not, he won't be the first jerk to be rich, and famous.

I've always thought the amateur requirements were a bunch of crap to begin with--a college can earn money off the players, the coach can get paid an obscene amount of money, but the kids get in trouble for accepting a pair of shoes. Why is it so bad for him to take two jerseys in exchange for posing for some pictures?

You all just sound jealous, to me. :p :D
  11. i've seen lebron play live once, when his team played our school in basketball. i don't think its a big deal that he talks a load of smack during the game, but, his mother is an out of control loud mouth. every game she goes to, she makes a complete fool of herself, yelling crude remarks about the other team and boasting about Lebron.
    My oppinion on the hummer: Why not try to buy a house instead? If you have the government paying for where you live (they live in the projects) why would you buy a $50,000 hummer?

there's an obvious lack of morals, and its not getting lebron any closer to a career in basketball when he grows older
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LeBron and his mother live in government funded housing projects. That means that their household income has to be below $25,000, probably way below that.

How can somebody making that kind of money get a $50K vehicle financed? And even at 72 months, how the heck can they afford the payments?

He had already violated the rules before he ever accepted those shirts. The fact that they did not find him ineligible stinks of a cover up.
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

Something I've REALLY been wondering, but haven't been able to find. Can you give me his stat line from his senior year?

14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it says she got a loan. i'm sure ANY bank will give them a loan based on the projection/fact that he's going to be a rich boy very shortly.

wouldn't it be HILARIOUS if he broke his leg tomorrow and it ended his career. i'm sorry, i don't care how mean it is...i'd laugh my arse off for DAYS.
  15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That's EXACTLY how I feel about crap like this! If that makes me a bad person, I guess I'll burn, but c'est la vie.

Edit: Smash, what is his supposed GPA? I haven't followed this story, because I really didn't give a crap about it, but now that things are blowing up in his face, I'm interested.
  16. I know he was quoted in a post game speech saying he had a 3.5 gpa. stat wise its something like 30ppg/8rpg/6apg i think his shooting % is around 55% and his free throw % is real bad like 55-60%
  17. All I have to say is 1, he is an idiot for accepting those gifts (with his expectations, he obviously knows that something like that wouldn't be accepted), 2, who cares? Why are these rules so harsh? What is the big deal if one nice guy wants to do a nice thing and give a kid he likes some basketball jerseys? My god, what has this world come to?
  18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Right on Smash. I think you hit the nail on the head in this post.

Wow we agree! :eek: :D