Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LeCompte ST-5 Review!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, May 13, 2005.

1. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    danka... was very curious

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Thanks; I've been looking at those, for awhile, now.

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    That is one smokin' looking bass.

Just awesome.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Big props to Bud for building this bass. Attention to detail is CRAZY great! Try as I may, I have yet to find a flaw in the finish, fit, electronics, etc. Made and assembled with GREAT care and patience. It truly is one SICK bass. By far the best I've owned. I've examined many other hi-end basses up close (Pedulla, Warrior, etc, etc) and this can hang with any of those without breaking a sweat. Go to www.LeComptebass.com

You'll pay 2 - 3 times as much for something comparible elsewhere. Get in before Bud gets smart and raises his prices (shhhhh, don't tell Bud I said that)! I'm sure that he's keeping his prices a good bit lower to get his basses, name and reputation out there (which WILL happen if he keeps building). 110% satisfied customer!

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I'm glad the bass got there in one piece. Thanks so much for the great review! :D Shucks, don't know what to say...looking forward to building a lot more.

6. Im ordering a four string asap!!!!

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Bud is an awesome guy, I'm sure you'll get WAY more than you pay for with one of his creations. Glad to see them getting some attention.

8. Yeah I actually just filled out an order form...its gonna be an st4 with a cocobolo top, spalt guard, maple board, and a norstrand MM pickup...I think it should be pretty cool lol, I think it may turn out to be my main bass

9. Quadzilla

Bud, I'll send you my address for my commision check :D . Just kidding of course, happy to spread the word!

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Actually it's just a quote request form. I just sent your quote, and I agree, I think it would be a very cool bass indeed. :)

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, the mark. You're an awesome guy too.

12. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Hey Quad...go add a review here as well....

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/LeCompte_Electric_Bass/

I was anxious to see what you thought of the neck profile on that one, I played it and it just wasn't for me. It is a lot nicer looking in person, even though the pics look great too.

I'm actually holding the bass in your avatar pic :hyper:

13. Quadzilla

Yeah Justice, I plan on putting a review up there. As for the profile of the neck, you are correct, it's different. It has wide spacing which I prefer. The back of the neck is also wide, but rather flat. I have big hands so this works for me, but somebody with smaller hands might have an issue. Bud told me that he modeled the neck after Warmoth's necks. The flatness of the neck may take a little getting used to, but I really don't see it as an issue for me. I'm sure that Bud can do any neck profile that you ask for...

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it looks great, I dig the style of that one... but I'm very curious about a "VBX - 6" in a 34" scale fretless :cool:

You every going Extended Range Bud?

15. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I was speaking more in terms of the dimensions of a Warmoth neck and to some degree thickness. Since I do everything by hand every neck is going to be different. When I carve a neck I do measure the thickness, but it seems like I get to a point where I say that feels pretty good. I don't have big hands and thought the neck on your ST-5 was easy to play. I considered it "fast". Yes, you're right. I can do just about any profile. :)

16. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I haven't built one yet, but that can certainly can be arranged, James. I've already worked out the dimensions for a 6/35" scale. It wouldn't be a problem to do a 6/34" scale, not at all. Any of my designs can be converted to a 6 string.

17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    What Justice is saying is that if you look closely to the right side of the picture you won't see him, but he was there holding the bass in place by the neck while I took the picture. :)

18. Quadzilla

Justice,

I read your review of the PT 1.5-4 on Harmony Central and you state "It has a flat profile across the back and is very comfortable" yet you say here that "it wasn't for you". Just curious what you mean as your statements don't appear to align. Not trying to start trouble, just asking... Thanks!

19. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Hey no problem :) I really like whats Bud is doing and want very much for him to succeed. But in that same vein, since he has been kind enough to ask my opinon of his basses I feel I need to give him complete honest answers weather it is something I like or something I dislike. It's only my opinion and that just makes it more data for Bud to use in building his basses. Also now that he has seen me play live he can judge my level of playing and then take my feedback and use it.

About the necks ,realize that the PT is a 4 string with a narrower neck. I does have a flat back profile but its not as exagerated as the 5 string that you bought. The 5 string was just too "thick" for my tastes. I mentioned that to Bud when I played it. Not everybody is going to have the same tastes and I would have preferred a rounder neck profile.

Now Bud does have a Proto type 5 string that has a neck more similar to the 4 string in my review that I really liked..i don't know if that bass will ever see the light of day though.. :bawl:

I'm also not a "wide" 5 string player and both of my 5 string basses (including the F-Bird) would probably be considered narrow for a 5. If I were having Bud build me a 5, I would ask him to try to match the neck profile of one of my current fives.

The neck on the PT and on Buds Violin bass are similar and both very easy for me to play.

I was hoping you would really like the bass because it is really nice. I was just curious about how you would feel about the only thing on the bass that I did not care for, thats all.

I gues this makes you LeCompte Bass Owners Club, member number 2 :hyper: