1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LeCover Customer Service Test

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burl0029, May 4, 2010.

1. I ordered a padded cover for my new amp (GK MB212). The cover looks great, but the opening for the top-mounted handle does not line up with the handle. I told the owner (Larry) over the phone that the front of the handle is 5.75" from the front of the amp. My original order was placed via his voicemail. I then confirmed the measurements with him later when he called back to give me the final price quote.

The back of the opening lines up with the front of the amp handle, leading me to believe he measured correctly, but put the opening on the wrong side of the line. I sent Larry an email tonight. I'm hoping he stands by his work and we can reach a good solution. I've read a lot of good comments and a handful of horror stories on various forums. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

2. Here's the picture that I included with the email I sent.

cover.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    How odd! I just received a LeCover padded cover for MY MB212 today!! The hole doesn't line up perfectly but is "close enough". Actually, the hole isn't straight, so it is just right on one side and not so much on the other.

My MB212 measures 5 1/4" from front of handle to front of cab.

Attached Files:

4. Seems like the issue might be a lack of quality control at GK, with the handle position being a moving target. LeCover probably has the handle measurement in their records, and if the handle location varies by unit, that makes it difficult.

Of course, you sent the measurements, so they should have gotten it right, but I can see them defaulting to their internal data base for something like this.

It looks like your handle cutout would have been fine if the handle was in the position that Tallboy's is.

5. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    A long while back, he made a cover for my Marshall head and the handle was incorrectly placed. He replaced it without hassle or questions. I was impressed and I bet he'll take care of you as well.

6. Hence why you should always measure to a centerline!

7. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Any more word on this, burl0029?

8. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have 2 LeCovers for the Ampeg B100r (have one left over for my other B100r I sold a few years back). It is well made and matches up fine. I'm sure it was just a mistake and he will take care of you.

9. Larry and I exchanged a few emails and he will be making a new cover. Everything was cordial. I'll update this again when I receive the new cover.

As for GK's quality control, I doubt the handle is in a different place on the same model of amp. The MB212 was not on LeCover's website, so I think he was making the cover based solely upon my measurements. I'm guessing the difference between my and Tallboy's measurements are our methods. Perhaps Tallboy measured to the edge of the cab, whereas I measured to the furthest point sticking out from the front of the amp (the plastic corners on the amp add about a 1/4" of extra depth). It would also vary depending on whether we measured from the plastic of the strap or the slightly wider metal ends. If you add in the people's tendency to round things off to the nearest nice number you might change things even more.

10. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I've bought a bunch of covers from him - always measured the cabs myself - and they came out spot on. I did receive one with loose stitching. He had me send him a pic of the flaw and I had a replacement in less than a week. Good CS IME.

11. I received my replacement cover today and it fits wonderfully. There were a few simple email exchanges followed by a no-hassle replacement. I would say they've passed the test. This should keep the tolex looking nice for quite a while.

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I have bought 8 or 9 covers from Larry over the years and they have always fit perfect.