1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LED light idea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Dec 9, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    So i had been working with LED lights in my friends car and i came up with the idea of putting some in my cab especially because its ported at the bottom it would really look cool. I have a couple ways of doing this. First would be to have it own serate circut and could easily add a batterybox and a switch in. The other thing is that I took out the tweeter in my cab. Would it be possible to connect the lights to the wires that would normally power the tweeter and then i would esentally have pulsing lights.

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    This idea seems pretty similar to the Fender Rumble 100 combos and thier lights that pulsate to your playing. While it might seems gimmicky to some, I think the idea is pretty cool.

[​IMG]

I'm sure it could be done to your cab as you described. Why not try it out and post some pics.

3. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    You could use the tweeter wires, but the circuit would be rather complicated. Tweeters see a sine wave, which is AC current. LEDs need polarity correct DC current, limited to lower than the LED's current rating.

So, if you can design the circuit and figure out the components that you will need, it should work out just fine.

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    That kind of thing is right on the line between lame-gimmicky, and pretty-cool-effect. I still push for the "let the bass (or the fingers) speak for itself" moto. Effects and such look like just a cover-up for inadequate playing skills......a la the sig;)

5. AMP COME HERE! tintin tintin tintin....(Nightrider soundtrack)
    lol... sorry couldnt resist :p

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    However, if it floats your boat then go for it.

7. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    The lights wouldn't pulsate if you directly connected them to signal from the bass or pre-amp because the highest refresh rate of your eye is about 60Hz. This means anything above a B is a higher frequency than the refresh rate of your eye and you won't see it flickering (same as you're not seeing your computer screen flicker now, even though it is) and also the light does not die away fast enough in an LED for them to fully dim between each peak.

You'd need some circuitry to sense when the actual beats are. This is probably best done by using a circuit similar to a compressor to operate based on the peaks, and you'd need to carefully tune the threshold. I'd sketch out a circuit that could do the job quickly now, but I've got electronics work I should actually be doing now

8. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Probably easier to go to Spencer Gifts or some place like that and set that on top of your amp - or even fix it inside with a method to power it and adjust sensitivity from the outside.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  10. I bought the Fender Rumble 100 last week not even knowing about the LED's. It is a cool effect. I'm a beginner so I cannot really turn the lights out... I'm too busy looking at my frets. LOL

11. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    What about neon lights?

The kits looks cool, what would i do about casings?

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Tweeter signals aren't necessarily a sine wave, but it is AC.

I think you probably could do something with a dropping resistor, a potentiometer to adjust sensitivity, and a couple LEDs.

Do a web search for "light organ" schematics, praticularly LED-based ones.