1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LED Noise - Aria SB-1000

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by russclaat, Mar 31, 2013.

1. russclaat

russclaat

Feb 18, 2007
    I have a 1981 Aria Pro II SB-1000. It's a beautiful bass to play, but has a pulsing noise it the background that renders it useless for recording. The noise seems to be being caused by the pulsing LED that comes on when you plug in the bass. The noise is present whether the active selector is on or off, but is worse when on.

I was wondering if this is a common problem on this bass, or if anyone has a cure. I'm happy to disconnect the LED, but I'm worried that it might cause more problems than it solves. Also, it seems unlikely to be a design problem as it makes such an obvious noise.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Years ago I made little circuits that flashed LEDs. I put on in my bass and it caused a clicking noise. It's not the LED, but actually the timer circuit. You can try and move it away from signal wires, or even insulate it and then wrap the circuit board in foil and ground it.

Of course if this is part of the preamp in the bass then that's not possible.

If it matches this diagram you should be able to either disconnect the LED module or shield it:

RSB-900_SB1000+Diagram.

Disconnecting the wire from the LED circuit that connects to the switch/battery should silence it.

The newer version of the bass seem to have the flahser circuit on the same circuit board as the preamp.

3. I have the same issue. I like the LED an will probably wire a switch inline with the LED, hidden in the cavity. For recording the LED can be disabled and for live it can blink away.

4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    If you are willing to try active off, have you tried removing the battery?

5. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    You can add a decoupling capacitor (100nF... 1µF, you'll have to try) between the +9V and ground of the led circuit, as close as possible of the led circuit. It should cancel (or at least reduce) the clicking noise.

Also keep the pickup signal wires as far as possible of the led and led circuit wires.

6. megarat

megarat (Not My Real Name) Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Squirt Island, USA
    Yes, I'm zombieing this thread, but I think I can offer some resolution, for future visitors if no one else.

Both my '80s-vintage and 2006 reissue SB1000s make that pulsing sound when the LED flashes, which occurs when the batteries are running low. (The pulsing sound is there even when you switch to passive, presumably because the oscillation of the LED is introducing noise into the signal path, and it blinks regardless of whether the bypass is kicked in or not.)

So change those batteries, that should do the trick.