Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LED position markers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassTerd, Jan 31, 2004.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I had a rough night playing in a dark stage yesterday. The Sound guy thought it would be cool to fart around with the lights and leave them off for the most part. Well needles to say I couldn't see my hand position and were I was on the fretboard and I was hitting quite a few bad notes. Other then practicing in the dark are there any ways to avoid this situation?

Does any use Led position markers? Is it worth it? How much does it cost?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have side markers on my fretless. I'd say it's a great investment if you have bad eyesight or play dark stages, particularly for fretless. If you have a luthier that can install them, it can cost a lot less than SIMs. Mine were put in by the luthier who built the bass for me, Jon Hill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. I'm curious as to how these were installed. I guess the fretboard was removed, and the wiring routed through the truss rod channel?
    Then individual holes were drilled at the fret markers and the LEDs mounted in them? If so, how much affect would this have on the strength and characteristics of the neck?
    Sounds like a very complicated and expensive procedure..

Mag...

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i remember before i knew they were over $500 dollars i e-mailed him. just e-mail him, i got all responses the same day ;).

5. what u need is them to do this

[​IMG]

looks co0ol.. as on stage...

:cool:

6. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Anyone know a luthier in Los Angeles that installs LED's?

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    victor wooten had a black fodera do similar things with its LEDs, except they went up with the signal volume

8. Those LEDs are SIMS but GB have used thier own controller..has 9 pre-set patterns...and random...which moves with the the style of music being played...cleaver...

tho.... i solved my dark stage problems and it cost me 50p...

went to local stationry shop and bought glow in the dark round stickers...and stuck them at the 3rd 5th 7th and 12th frets..

i play with my thumb in the middle of the neck so0o they dont come off..

can see them clearly....enough under dark light...

cheap and easy and no1 can tell...

:hyper:

9. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    One of the best "cheap" investments I've made was to go to a craft store and buy a bottle of Scribbles "Glow in the dark" fabric paint, or Polymark makes it also.
    It's only a couple dollars a bottle and just takes a dot on the side markers on your neck and they work just great. Also, there is no worries about doing any damage to your bass, since the paint almost turns to a rubbery substance and pops right off if you want to get rid of it.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Since the LEDs were put in by the luthier who built the bass, he didn't have to remove the fretboard-he just installed them during the building process. He actually made a route in the fretboard itself. The fretboard is ebony and a bit thicker than usual because it's a fretless, so it was plenty sturdy. It was also much less expensive than SIMs are. Here's a pic of how the LEDs are installed in the fretboard before the board was attached and cut.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I had a problem with this once, and a few days later I got to hang out with Jerry Only of the Misfits and we talked bass, and a lot of bass. He let me play his bass and I noticed there was electrical tape on the back of the neck, in the middle of the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th frets. It wasn't obtrusive or annoying, but you could feel it, and you could see it too. Use white tape on dark necks, black electrical tape on maple boards with a satin finish. The best part is it comes off without damaging your finish, and it's not permanent, obtrusive, and actually looks pretty cool.