Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LED Replacement in Boss Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spanky, Aug 16, 2004.

1. I recently acquired a Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus pedal for next to nothing, because the LED light on it was broken. Other than that, it was perfectly functional. Im pretty industrious when it comes to little fixes like these, so I opened it up, de-soldered what was left of the broken LED, went to my local Radio Shack and promptly purchased a pair (can't buy them in singles) of 3mm Lo intensity T-1 size Red LEDs, (3v - 15mA - 2.5mcd), for $1.29. Just make sure upon installing the new one that the cathode (short) lead goes to the green wire side and the anode (long) goes to the orange wire side, re-use the existing plastic standoff, make sure its all the way down snugly when finished soldering, oh and when you replace the little screw that holds the LED miniboard down , dont cinch it all the way down, as it will contact the solder joints and cause an "always on" condition.

And thats the story of my $11.29 CEB-3 Bass Chorus! :D

This fix applies to any Boss stompbox pedal with that single LED by the way...so I hope this experience will help someone else along the way!

2. jjleprikon

jjleprikon

Jul 12, 2008
    I Just registered to say thanks for posting this info. Its exactly what I needed to fix a Boss Digital Delay DD-3 with a broken led, but otherwise working.

Your instructions are perfect, and the Radio Shack part fit exactly. In my case the cathode (shorter leg, or flattened edge of the led) is wired to the red wire, anode to the black wire. There was a schematic under the part on my board.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but just wanted to say thanks and fill in the specifics on this pedal. :)

3. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    And watch as the entire forum switches all of their pedals to blue LED

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    :oops:

I will always think replacing stuck LEDs just for color is silly, if it is broken them sure why not put in a new color, but just for looks seams like a waste of solder and time.

5. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    I don't think you understand

Blue

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Again --> :oops:

:D

7. um, do you not know the tone enhancing qualities of blue LEDs? Not even joking here.

8. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I know! They're just so....... blue. The red ones make your $3,000 Sadowsky sound like a Squier.

The blue ones make it sound like a... well, really good Sadowsky. :D

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a broken Touch-Waw that has to be fixed; maybe I'll tell the tech that it also needs a new blue LED installed.....

10. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Blue LEDs are perfect for the modern bassist who deems operational optical nerves to be outdated relics of the past.

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Gimme a break; it's not like I'm putting a blue lazer in the thing! (I'm saving that for when I decide to mod it)

12. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Precisely

13. ryan(MAIDEN)

ryan(MAIDEN)

Jan 27, 2008
    [​IMG]
    heres what the blue did for me...

14. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    hi! sorry to put this post from the past..
    i have problem like this - the led is dimmed and hardly seen when its operates with 9V battery.
    but when connecting to acdc adapter the led is ok.
    is this normal? or is the led need to be replaced?
    thanks.

15. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    Have you tried a fresh battery? :p

16. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    It is a fresh battery... Just open the pack..

17. I don´t want to sound patronising, but have you tried with another battery? Other than that, maybe the battery snap need resoldering or something.

18. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    its a bit awkward..
    i tried another battery and its o.k...
    so apparently duracell are better than energizer..

[​IMG]

:bag: