Led Zep Rock or Rocks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Arch Giddle, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Another english language usage post.

If I wanted to express my admiration for a band, is it correct to say "Zeppelin Rule"? This is what I would say, but I notice many people say "Zeppelin Rules" as if the band is a thing by itself, rather than a group of people.

For example, J Hetfield come out at the start of a gig and says "Metallica is ready, are you?" Surely that should be "Metallica ARE ready"?

Or perhaps i have gone mad...
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I think it depends on how you look at it. If Zepplin wants to be known as a collective thing, it would be "LZ rock!" If they were speaking of each of the members, it would be "LZ rocks!"
  3. What was James doing at the start of a gig? :eek: :smug:

Kaz :rolleyes: :smug:
  4. I'm thinking that because a band is one thing, you would say Zeppelin rocks, rules, stinks, etc. If the band was a "The" something, you would say "are" as in "The Beatles are ready, are you?"
  5. Since the band name is not in plural form you would use "is". "Is" is used because the band name isn't in plural and therefore the name represents the band as one unit or a group of individuals but in singular form. Now for bands that end in plural such as : The Beatles or The Rolling Stones

The name ends in a "s" making the name plural so you would use "are". It is basically the same as ; "They ARE ready.", or "We ARE ready."

The english language is very complex but for odd reasons I find it facinating :)
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe it is "Led Zeppelin Rules" because the subject of the sentence is the band, not its several member.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Led Zeppelin is singular although it denotes multiple members within itself...
    The band is ready.
    The class is ready.
    The club is ready.
    The family is ready.
    The group is ready.

...as opposed to:
    The bands are ready.
    The families are ready, etc.

Bands, families, clubs, classes all by their very nature must have more than one member (one-man bands don't count, they are entertainers and not bands). :cool: ;)
  8. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    It would be a "collective noun". Many people or things that together make a singular group.

Dang, I like these grammar threads. Keep 'em coming. :D
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually, "(The members of) Led Zeppelin rock!" and "(The band called) Led Zeppelin rocks!", me thinks.

Of course you could be certain they get your meaning by saying "The Led Zeppelin's rock!", as in the players do.