Led Zeppelin And That Backwards Masking Thing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by danqi, May 15, 2004.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    I would have thought that this would have been discussed around here many times before, but it seems like it hasn't. I don't have much of an opinion on it, but I think it's quite interesting.

I had heard of this before. Yet, this is the first time I actually listened to the song backwards myself. After doing so on that website I tried it myself with the original CD and it's the same. What makes this interesting is that, in my opinion, it is pretty clear to hear. I am not even a native english speaker, but I can make the words out quite easily. That weakens the argument that "you hear just what you want to hear".
  2. Were you able to make it out without reading the backward lyric?
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you look for evil, you will find it. You'll hear "satanic" messages if you play The Captain and Tinielle backwards as well. The whole backwards masking thing is completely lame, and I'm surprised that people still take it seriously.

It's hard enough to write lyrics, without having to try to think about putting in a backwards satanic message in there as well. The only word that I can think of that has an evil connotation when it's played backwards is "Bob".
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I was under the impression that Satan had a pretty firm grip on forward rock'n'roll. If he's trying to edge in the backwards way, that's just greedy.
  5. IMHO Robert Plant's lyrics are bad enough going forwards :bag:
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    All the best bands are afiliated with Satan.

And I smell BS. I've heard other portions of songs (a different part of Stairway, Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust") and backwards vocals are never that intelligible. I think the backwards version is doctored.
  7. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I got some of the words without reading the backwards lyric. Satan, 666 and toolshed. Its creepy, but not something Ill be losing sleep over.
  8. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    its creepy how the second line is so clear backwards :help:
  9. does anyone ever remember judas priest saying something like "If we really put in backwards messages in our songs, they would say to buy more albums!"
  10. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I'm almost 100% sure it's not doctored - when I was in high school my friend took a cassette of it apart, reversed the reels, and we listened to it, and it sounded like that. I would also play my Beatles albums backwards, to hear the "Paul is dead - miss him miss him miss him" (I think it's in "I'm Only Sleeping"?)

Didn't Jimmy Page buy Aleister Crowley's house at one point? After that various bad things started happening to the band.

"Don't meddle with things you don't understand" - can anyone identify this one?
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

Iron Maiden.
  12. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    heehee!!! that gives me piece of mind that someone knew :ninja:

(sorry - bad joke)
  13. danqi

May 21, 2001
    Still Life?
  14. danqi

May 21, 2001
    It's not. As I've said above, I have tried it out.
  15. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    How exactly do you get to play a track backwards? Or were they just using a record player mic'd up to the computer...?

Anyway, I listen to Coast to Coast AM every now and again, a few years back they had a weblink to some "theorist's" website that played high profile soundbites forward and backward. I don't remember the name, nor the site, but this "theorist" figured one would receive a subliminal, backwards message (if one were lying), you'd subconsciously hear the backwards message that would be the truth. It's gotta be BS, but it was amusing for a few minutes.
  16. danqi

May 21, 2001
    You can do that in almost any sound editing application, shareware or not. There is always a plug-in or command to reverse the audio.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The first part is true - but after he bought it, Led Zep had huge million-selling albums, played to sold-out tours all across the world and Page is still going and earning money, many years after contemporaries have died or burned-out - I think he knew exactly what he was doing!! ;)
  18. i knew a guy who played stairway backwards on his guitar, and he learned to sing "neaveh ot yawriats a gniyub sehs dna"
    sounded like crap, but it was funny.