Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Led Zeppelin notation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Feb 21, 2002.

1. I'm looking for Led Zeppeling songs in standard notation, I've only found two or three before. Does anyone know where I might find a more complete collection?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

3. Thanks Bruce, I'll try to find it here somewhere.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I know that I have a music book for Led Zep 4 - I'm sure it has standard notation in it as well as TAB (sorry, but it's in the book!) If I can dig it out I'll post the ISDN number so that you could maybe track a copy down!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well there's no problem tracking Led Zep Complete down - I even put a link in my post to where you can buy it and all reatailers and places like Amazon have stocks!

6. Well, I'm not old enough to have a credic card and I've sort of adopted a policy of not asking my parents for things. So I'm going to try to find it here in Iceland. Plus I'm not that trusting of buying over the internet.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bruce, the link indicates notation for guitar and voice. Does it have bass notation? It isn't mentioned.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Well - the version I bought, did have some basslines and riffs - quite often in the riffs, the bass is doubling the guitar.

I can't remember honestly - it's packed away in a cupboard somewhere - haven't looked at it for about 20 years!

I just remember that when I started playing bass I was at school, singing in the choir, reading parts for bass and playing with a piano player who used to write everything out in standard notation. When I got into "heavier" music, this was the only book I could find, that gave me a clue about what the bass was doing in this type of music.

I had a quick look yesterday on the net, at the sites I buy sheet music from and there are now a lot more versions of this book - so I'm not sure I picked the same one as I have.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too!

Actually, the books I've seen nowadaze are 1000% better than what Bruce & I hadda decipher...
    I've seen BASS books for Led Zep's 1st & 2nd albums; BASS books for the 3rd & 4th albums.

On a tangent, a drummer pal had the Complete Scores for Physical Graffitti...what blew me away was seeing the transcribed line to "Kashmir":
    Transcribed in 4/4...seems 'easier'(at least in my mind)to feel that bass part in 3.
    Comments? ;)