Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Led Zeppelin Question and Poll

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by menialtaskguapo, Jun 19, 2004.

1. BBC Sessions D & C

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. How The West Was Won D & C

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Song Remains the Same D & C

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Alright, as I have posted sometimes, Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, they are the best band of the 70s and are #1 in VH1's 100 best hard rock bands of all time. I have 14 cds of them (BBC Sessions, How the West was won, greatest hits early and latter days, the song remains the same, 3 mixes, and 2 cds that i made that consists of their very best, in my opinion. I also have a poster of them.

On the poster of them, John Paul Jones (most undercredited musician of all time) is playing a three neck guitar, necks of mandolin, 6 string guitar, and the third is either 12 string guitar or bass, i think its bass. The picture is from a live concert, so i searched all of the dvd of them i have for the song he plays it in and I can't find it. Does anybody know which song(s) he plays this odd guitar in? I've had the hunch that it is either Battle of Evermore or Gallow's Pole, but I'm not sure, and it is annoying the crap out of me. :help:

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Three Different JPJ Triples--

Custom Manson Triple Neck

[​IMG]

Triple Neck year 2000

Front

[​IMG]

Rear

[​IMG]

Triple Neck year 1979

[​IMG]

Original Custom built in 1975:

[​IMG]

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I actually have an original soundboard recording from the NYC gig on cassette. I play it VERY sparingly! My uncle knew the soundman, and he gave it to me in 1989. :bassist:

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cool!

Anyway, I voted BBC. The kids watching the band play Dazed and Confused in the extra features of HtWwW looked frightened.

5. ehhh? extra features? HtWwW? you mean led zeppelin dvd, right?

if youre talking about frightening children, look at the oldest special feature performance on the Led Zeppelin DVD, and there are several people who look scary, one looks like an ape. i need to check this out...

6. ah buh!?!?!?!

Ok, on one neck i see...ok its a mandolin
    Alright next neck should be a 6 string or 12 string,....and its another 8 string...something
    And on the final neck it seems to be a 8 string bass

***?!?!

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That, as I recall, is a triple neck mandolin.

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    My #1 fav would have to be the version on the new 2 disc DVD "LED ZEPPELIN" in the main concert on Disc 1 (I forget where the concert is :oops: )

9. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    I think the one in the middle is a mandola. Just like a mandolin but a fifth lower. Or maybe it's a mandocello, but I think those things are a lot bigger than what's in the picture.

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, I was talking about the extra features on the How the West was Won DVD.

11. Burn that onto CD ASAP!!!

12. HtWwW DVD???

never heard of it, is it just on the audio cd?

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

movin on up........

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Jonsey has several triple-necked instruments. His traveling tech is Hugh Manson (who builds his basses), and Hugh's brother Andy, builds the acoustic instrument....mandolin, mandola, ukelele, etc.). Andy also built the original triple neck, the new "backup" repro of the tripleneck, and the new triple-neck featured in the last of the photos above.

As for the songs that Jonsey used the triple-neck on for live performances, they are as follows. Zeppelin only played Gallows once live, I belive (if at all), but would "reference" it from time to time during the acoustic set. "That's the Way", "Battle of Evermore", "Going to California", "Ten Years Gone"....these are the songs that would see use from the triple-neck. However, it really wasn't used as much as you think it. Page played the mandolin part on "Battle of Evermore", and Jones usually played a regular stand-along mandolin for "That's the Way". The triple-neck probably got it's most use during the electric number "Ten Years Gone" for the '77 tour and the Knebworth shows.

15. aha! thats what it was in.
    i found on some web site that he played it in Battle of Evermore, but i thought That's The Way and Goin to California were with just a singular mandolin
    How'd you figure out all of that?

16. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've been studying this crap for the last 15 years, man! :D
    I've just listened to countless live recordings, watched a lot of concert footage, and read a LOT of books. There are a lot of great books out there (in addition to the sensationized, but still intertaining, ones), and if you know what to listen and watch for, live recordings and video clips can speak volumes. Actually, the answer to most of your questions can be found by watching the two DVD set that was recently released. If you're a Zeppelin fan, there's no reason why you shouldn't own it and enjoy it. ;)

17. If you're talking about the Led Zeppelin DVD 2 disc thing that was recently released, I already own it. Great Live performances