1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Led Zeppelin Studio Recordings listening guide

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kiwlm, May 2, 2006.

1. I have recently purchased the Led Zeppelin complete studio recordings at around USD40! What a mega bargain for the music in the 10 CDs.

I have read some TBers recommend that someone hoping to get into LZ or JPJ should probably get the first 4 albums first (was that Bruce? can't recall), and I have read in reviews talking about the
    "(d)evolution of led zeppelin over the 10 recordings", well, its interesting that the review added the probably "d" in the word evolution, probably meaning that some people might not like the later studio recordings as much as the first few?

I have listened to almost all of their albums, giving each 10 spins at least before I wrote this. And I am here looking for a listening guide on the musical side of the 10 albums.

I personally find that the first 4 are more standard rock/blues tunes, catchy, some even pop-style. The last few albums, some are particularly hard to like, some take more than 10 listens before realizing the punch of it, and some sounds so sophisticated (Crunge for example).

Any comments/reviews/what-to-listen-for on the 10 albums will be of great help to my future listening. :):hyper:

2. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    When the movie was released ( maybe 75 , but not sure really ) called " The Song Remains the Same " A mate of mine's old man worked for a local radio station and scored a few tickets to the premier. Four of us , from a high school band stood amongst suit's and ties and women in evening dresses to enter the theatre, The movie just blew us away , and for me the song that has just stayed with me all these years is " since I've Been Loving You "

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well, 25+ years of owning and listening to them... the only 2 that I ever really still put on any more are Presence and Physical Graffiti. "The Crunge" was on their 5th release (1973)... I use to audition drummers with that tune ;)

I'll move this over to "Recordings" for you.

4. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast

Physical Graffiti is in the stacker in my good car and like you , I never tire of hearing it.:cool:

5. Led Zep II is the bible for JPJ. Thats all that needs to said. The Lemon Song, Ramble On, What Is etc. A landmark and genuinely virtuoso display of what is possible with a bass guitar. Still amazing to this day.

6. i put on physical graffitti the most probably. but presence has what i think is the best song zep ever wrote, achilles last stand. i've been listening to that song for almost 25 years and i still get chills when i listen to it. so tight, moody, and a thunder of drums.

i do agree though that by far 'in thru the out door' was their weakest effort. at that point the zep magic was losing steam due to serious drug and alcohol abuse by mssrs page and bonham.

7. +1 - The Lemon Song is an amazing example of blues/rock bass playing at it's finest! He riffs, licks, phrases, and grooves like crazy on that tune. If anyone is looking up add to their bags of riffs - The Lemon Song is a must learn.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My band plays "The Lemon Song" and "What Is and What Should Never Be". Two of my favorite bass songs ever.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Houses of the Holy and II are my two faves.