Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LEDs in basses, good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Blackbird, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hi, all.

I just got a Trace Elliot T-Bass 5 and there's an LED that goes on when I plug the bass in. The only other basses I've seen with that feature are cheaper Hohner basses.

I'm also concerned that I'm losing some tone because the LED is feeding off the batteries (It's an 18 vold system).

Should I have the LED removed? It has a nice visual appeal, but I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat if I got better battery efficiency and tone. Thanks.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I wouldn't worry much about it. LEDs consume so little power that it really makes no difference.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Depending on how things are wired, your preamp might lose a little juice. Voltage drop across most micro LEDs I have seen is 1.8V. It's doubtful that the LED is wired in series with the preamp. They do draw current, though. Your battery life will go down, but either way I doubt you are losing much headroom or boost to the LED.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got an Alembic Distillate (for a few more days) that has a battery LED in it. The battery has lasted way over a year, and as far as I can tell, I'd say it doesn't have any impact on the tone, as it sounds like a great Alembic ought to. Of course, I haven't heard it without the LED, but it sounds fine, and doesn't seem to inordinately drain the battery.