Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lee morgan - the sindwinder.. anyone know it?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by apoodangle, Dec 9, 2003.

1. just wondering if someone has a bass tab or standard notation for Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder. if you haven't heard it tis a great jazz album

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've played it many times and it is a pretty simple Blues-based structure.

So - you have D7 Eb7 for 8 bars - then G7 Ab7 for 4 bars. Back to D7 Eb7 for 4 bars - then F7 Bb7 for 4 bars and back again to D7 Eb7.

So it is like a double length 12 bar blues.

There is a little 3 note bass "pick-up" at the beginning of each sequence - Bb, Ab, E - but the bass line is the same throughout - just following the movement of the Blues structure.

So it starts with Eb Bb Db etc etc

The big thing is the "feel" - which is like a sort of funky bossa nova.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Whenever I think Hard Bop-
    The Sidewinder is the first album that pops into my head.

"Gary's Notebook" & "Totem Pole" are also good ones from that disc...

4. *BZZZZZZZZZZZZT*

The correct answer is, of course, Moanin'.

;) :smug:

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well, for me - you can't talk about Hard Bop without mentioning Horace Silver - who wrote the book on arranging and writing this stuff!

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    My band has Sidewinder and Moanin' in the regular rotation. Sidewinder is as Bruce says, a fairly basic blues pattern. I like to funk it up a bit and play with the rhythm.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - these things are all about the feel - so it is pretty ironic that this conversation is taking place in the Tab forum, as you would get no sense of this from just looking at tabs! ;)

8. anyone have a lead sheet with the melody line? i'm gna start a jazz trio with a friend of mine and he wants me to play the melody (he's lazy and would rather just comp the chords)

9. Bruce Lindfield

The "melody" is really just a series of short trumpet/sax 'stabs' - can't imagine it played on bass - so, I've already given you the chords and playing along with the record it should be pretty easy to pick these out - but as I said before it's more about the groove....:meh:

10. i figured the head's not too hard and i could probably do it, but then again, i'm usually wrong in situations like these.

anyways the melody lines in the head don't seem too complex or anything... but who knows. i'll get my teacher to help me figure em out by ear and i'll see.