Lee Ritenour Live - AJ!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Apr 7, 2004.

1. If you haven't heard, Lee Ritenour will be releasing a Live DVD in June or July of this year. It has already been taped. Melvin Lee Davis and Anthony Jackson will both be playing on it, among others. Here's what Melvin had to say on his site:

70's Music Group featuring: Lee Ritenour, Dave Grusin, Harvey Mason, Patrice Rushen, Anthony Jackson, Ernie Watts,

Contemporary Group featuring: Lee Ritenour, Melvin Lee Davis, Kenya Hathaway, Oscar Seaton, Barnaby Finch, Chris Botti, Eric Marienthal, Patrice Rushen, Dave Grusin, Grady Harrell

Jazz Group featuring: Lee Ritenour,Ernie Watts, Harvey Mason, Dave Grusin, Patrice Rushen, Dave Carpenter

Brazilian Group featuring: Lee Ritenour, Anthony Jackson, Alex Acuna, Ivan Lins, Harvey Mason, Dave Grusin

Melvin is in one band and AJ is in two! I can't wait for this DVD. Two of the coolest bassists out there today.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    What are some good examples of AJ's playing?
  3. Hey!

I'm only familiar with AJ's work in jazz so far, as I've just recently became a fan. But here are some recordings that I have and recommend:

Michel Camilo - Triangulo
    Michel Camilo - One More Once
    Michel Petrucciani - Trio Live in Tokyo
    Al DiMeola - Flesh on Flesh

Also, the Calle 54 DVD is a must for any AJ fan. A great trio performance with Michel Camilo and Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez.

Hope that helped!
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Thanks try to check it out sometime.

I have heard a ton about him, but have never heard his playing. He must be pretty good becuase he probably has the most expensive signature bass in the world. :D
  5. Yeah, I think so too! :p
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Isn't the presentation model like 20,000 dollars?
  7. I've heard a quote from a dealer that it's 18,000 list. The dealer will discount that price. But still, even at a discount from list, that's still an expensive bass. :p
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sorry I need a newer car first.

But for the person who can afford it/has everything I'm sure that it would be nice.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...the thing is-
    AJ still sounded/played great on his '70s Fender.

My first impression of AJ came through Pop/R&B records, i.e. his work as a studio sideman.
    The O'Jays, Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, Donald Fagen, Quincy Jones, etc
    Then came the Fusion stuff like Al DiMeola, Eric Gale, & Steve Khan's Eyewitness.
    IMO, the early Eyewitness stuff is essential!

Eventually, AJ popped up with some Latin musicians. Anything with Michel Camilo & 'El Negro' is happenin'! I second the Calle 54 DVD.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's also a DVD of German-Ungarian drummer Leslie Mandoki with a flock of guest stars like AJ, Pino Palladino, Victor Bailey, Jack Bruce among others and it also features AJ in some interviews and 2 or 3 songs.

It's best described as Pop-Fusion (vocals/lyrics sometimes alittle corny, but tolerable, music is quite good though).

Leslie Mandoki - Soulmates Absolutely Live
  11. Thanks for the heads-up, Bernie. I'll be waiting for that DVD to hit the (online) shelves.
  12. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    There has been a Simon&Garfunkel live video on public television. It is live in Central Park(1980?) It has a great band and the rythym section is AJ and Steve Gadd. I think it is available on VHS.
  13. You're welcome. :)

Yeah, I have heard of that concert. Although I've never seen it. It's also available on DVD IIRC.
  14. Thanks for the heads up on this Bernie. Now there's something to look forward too

Well abark000, I haven't quite got everything but the car had to go !! (check the avatar) :D
  15. You're welcome. Glad I could help out. :)

Wow, Nick! You're one lucky guy to have one of *the* nicest basses in the world today. The nicest bass out there IMO.

Is it everything you thought it would be when you received it? I don't see how it couldn't be, but I thought I would ask since you have one. ;)
  16. Hi Bernie

I'm one lucky guy with a very understanding wife.
    For me it is the best bass I have ever owned (and I've had a few). It is everything I hoped it would be and more. No more knob twiddling for me !! :D
  17. That's great, Nick! I'm glad you've found the bass of your dreams.

I've also have a couple of AJ recordings on there way to me now. 'Buddies Buddys' and 'Further Dance' by Roland Vazquez. I can't wait for both of these. From what I've heard, they're both great!
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have Vazquez' No Seperate Love w/ AJ.
    Big Band Latin Jazz...I may have to re-visit that one.
  19. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have "No Seperate Love," I think it contains some of AJ's all time greatest playing. The songs are a little fusion-y at times for me, but there is some great stuff going on. Back in college, I transcribed AJ's bassline from the song "Teresa." Simple and elegant. That song also has one of the best bass solos I have ever heard. AJ does an incredible volume pedal solo at the end that almost sounds like a woodwind.

And the pick/flanger stuff on some of the Latin grooves is righteous!
  20. frodebass

Apr 11, 2004

Check out tony Lakatos "Different moods" on lipstick.
    Has a great duo with Lakatos and AJ. Lots of great bass ideas!
    What a fantastic chording approach he has. Not to mention his volume swells and muted thumb lines!

I saw him in Oslo twice. Once with Steve Khan and Dave Weckl. Boring tunes, and very anonym guitar playing, but AJ and DW were worth the ticket many times!!

Another time I saw him with a Dutch guitarist and Cornell Rochester on drums.
    Not a together band, and AJ was clearly upset, often muttering irritatingly to himself when some of the other musicians messed up, or he missed a line....
    Happily not many in the audience, cause that was a wierd gig!!!

Frode Berg