Lee Sklar's 1962 Jazz Bass is for sale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Max, Mar 28, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ...that bass is in great shape!

...that dude has got one HUGE beard!!!

2. If the beard's not included, no deal.
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    It's at $7400 and reserve has not yet been met! Anyone want to guess what it'll eventually go for?
  4. *pinky in mouth*

one MILLon dollars
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I hope Lee's ok. With the gigs he has, he wouldn't want to get rid of something like that unless it was an emergency.

I had never actually seen a Jazz bass with mutes before. I've seen custom shop vintage reissues where they've neglected to put those on...

Why make millions when you can make...thousands?
  6. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

My guess is that it will go for around 10K.

what a beauty of a bass.
  7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Reserve is probably around 10k.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My thought exactly.
  9. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Correct me if I'm wrong but did'nt fender start using 4 bolt necks when it became CBS. What in the H E Double hocky sticks is a '62 original doing with 4 bolts instead of 3?:meh: Someone help me out with this, please.
  10. Good grief, I wish I had something that beautiful.

One day...
  11. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    3 bolt necks started in '75 and were used for only a few years.
  12. Now at almost $9000 and reserve not met? Jes' give me a Sadowsky Ultravintage and I'll keep the massive amount left over!
  13. It's about 5:18 pm, CST and the bid is $8,988.88, with 5days and 22hrs+ to go.

I say it'll go for about $12,000.

Starting bid $120.00 :rolleyes: Come on!
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I would buy it if I had the cash to blow. Well... On the other hand, 10k + would buy me a whole studio full of gear, instruments, and building improvments to my garage/studio.

So, maybe I would do it if I had 20k to blow. Then I could do all of the above, plus get the bass too. ;)
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Besides, that bass is pre CBS.

Post #5555. Kewl.
  16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Of course, CBS bought Fender in '65.
  17. I agree. If I were a collector with the kind of money needed to buy it, it would be mine.

18. What a piece of history...I will wager that it goes for at least $25K to an asian collector...would not be surprised to see it go over $35K...significant historical value as well as Lee's bass. This is close to the Grail for a serious collector...THE EXAMPLE from George Gruhn's book!! THAT is HEAVY!!!:D :D