Lee Squire sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hotblacktar, Sep 6, 2002.

1. hotblacktar

Sep 6, 2002
    I am trying out a friends Rickenbacker 400x bass. I am playing through an SWR 350 head into an Ampeg 4x10 cab.

It has a great sound but it doesn't sound any different than my regular bass.

It has all the original parts and a set of brand new GHS bass boomers strings.

How do I get that trademark Rick sound like Lee or Squire? What do they do to get that tone?

2. Hi,
    Just owning that bass and a good amp are not the only keys to the two players sounds you mentioned. Having played in a RUSH cover band for a while, I used to use a BOSS compression/sustainer
    pedal and came close to the LEE sound,without having to lay out big bucks, same to be said with the SQUIRE sound although he plays almost exclusively with a pick, that lends to his sound also.
    To come out with their sounds exactly you'd need to run stereo as both of these players usually do in the studio. Plus have the same preamps and such. Also take note alot of what LEE did in the studio was on a Fender Jazz bass, but he played it live on a Rick.:D
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's a mod you can do that will open up a lot of the high frequency sound out of your bass - there's a capacitor wired in series with the output from the volume of the bridge pickup. if you bypass that cap - solder the ends of a wire to either side of it - you will find that your treble pickup output volume will come alive, and you will have a louder, and much more aggressive output from the instrument.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    only from permanent waves on. in fact, not even all of permanent waves. all of mp was the jbass, but about 1/2 of pew and some of signals was the rick.
  5. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Perhaps watch some Yes videos. He plays at the neck pickup a lot. He has an instructional video as well. I know its a hollowed out sound with lots of treble. Its in your bass somewhere. Keep experimenting. It's in the jazz too.
  6. John,

Geddy did not use the Jazz exclusively on _Moving Pictures_. In this interview, he says the following:

I beileve I've read elsewhere that he also used the Rick on "The Camera Eye", and the sound certainly supports that.

As for PeW, here's how I break it down.

"The Sprit Of Radio": Fender
    "Freewill": Rickenbacker
    "Jacob's Ladder": Rickenbacker
    "Entre Nous": Fender
    "Different Strings": Fender, but I'm not 100% on this one
    "Natural Science": Rickenbacker

And my take on _Signals_:

"Subdivisions": Rickenbacker
    "The Analog Kid": Rickenbacker
    "Chemistry": Rickenbacker
    "Digital Man": Fender
    "The Weapon": Fender
    "New World Man": Rickenbacker
    "Losing It": Rickenbacker 4002
    "Countdown": Rickenbacker

There's my three Canadian cents!

7. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I also read in an interview that Lee let his index and middle fingers fingernails grow past the fingertips and he uses the nails to pluck the strings. I tried it and sure enough, got the classic Lee tone.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And he also digs in very hard. Using a Peavey Foundation, an old TNT 130, a little bit of fingernail, and digging in deep, I can get very close to the pre MP tone. If I add a little bottom and cut the highs a hair, I can get real close to his J bass tone. His technique has at least as much to do with it as the bass IMHO.