Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LeFay Rough Crystals - need info on tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Looking around on evilBay I found some Rough Crystal 6er soapbars.
    Splitcoil, Bart P4 shape...
    so tempting... but my new bass will set me on the brink of my budget, so I'll only buy them if they are what I'm looking for, I can't waste money...

Has anyone tried Rough Crystals (JMX? Where are you? :D :smug: )
    What is the tone like?
    I'm looking for p-ups that reproduce the unplugged tone of the bass, without much colouring (eg, EMG). Strong, deep but not muddy or boomy lows, strong yet not nasal mids and well-extended, clear but not harsh highs.
    The other p-ups I'm looking at are the Bart 90P46CBCs, Classic Bass Dual Coils (for series/parallel goodness)

Which should I go for?

Thanks!

2. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    Well if the ones on ebay are used, you can sell them again if you don't like them without losing money or losing only a little money.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They're neutral, but not sterile, great pickups. They're a little more low impedance than others, so they're not as loud as, say, a Quarterpounder.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I really like the sound of the rough crytal pickups. I played a lefay that had them, and a basslab L-bow, which also had them. Both of those basses had incredible tone. They definitely have their own color, but to my ears, that color sounds awesome. Kind of juicy and zingy, yet somehow still neutral and balanced, if that makes any sense at all. :eyebrow:

I'd say go for it, you can always sell em later, they're pretty rare.
    I might even buy them from you if it doesn't work out.

Jake
    my website

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm ... decisions, decisions again... yesterday rethinking bridge, today p-ups :D

They are new, the price is €105 right now, otherwise they are selling it for €190. But with 9 more days to go, it might end up closer to retail.

Well, if they were double coil, I'd be so all over them, but as they're just split-coil... if nothing else, it'll be good to replace the MECs in my Corvette, they are P4-shape, as well.

The LeFay site sure is funny, but I'd be glad if it was a bit more informative, too...

Now, back to the tone.
    I need punchy and growly, with good extension into both bass and treble, and fairly balanced across all freqs. Can these cut it?

6. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany
    >>I need punchy and growly, with good extension into both bass and >>treble, and fairly balanced across all freqs. Can these cut it?

Yes, definitely!
    And I refuse to compare them to the MECs. :)

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :D
    They will be upgrades ;)

(Maybe their preamps are bad, but their p-ups are quite decent)

8. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany
    Hm, I would see that vice versa!?! (IMO preamps are much better than the PUs)
    Anyway, I don´t think you can make anything wrong.

Good luck with the auction!

Heiko

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I meant the MECs. Their p-ups are decent, but I really don't like the preamp. However, I don't even need it. I'm fine with just the pick-ups, and just the vol and tone knobs :cool:

Thanks! Knowing my luck, I'll need it :D

10. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany
    Frank,

just saw this thread again and thought I should ask: Did you get them?

Heiko