Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left arm nerve pinch...what's up?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassBaron, May 17, 2004.

1. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Once in a while, usually near the end of a gig or long rehersal, I get this weird pinch in my left forearm that feels like someone is pluking my tendons like cheap banjo. Happens most often when I'm playing a streched out pattern across 4+ frets near the nut. My bass is positioned with the neck plate right at my belt buckle and up at a ~20deg angle. I've made a conscious effort to not dig in so much and try to use a light touch, but around hour 3, this nerve thing rears its ugly head. It never seems to happen with my old bass (Ric 4001), always with the MTD Kingston 5. The two basses are worlds apart in terms of string spacing and ergonomics...who would have thought that square edged Ric would be more comfortable in the long run?? Sometimes it helps if I move what I'm playing up the neck, so I suspect my strap position...more angle perhaps? Anyone experience symptoms like this before?

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I get that too, like if I drew a straight line from my thumb down my forearm I can almost feel that tendon that gets aggrivated. I found to stretch before I play and not to dig in as much. I also take glucosmine that is good for joints and hopefully helps that. If mine gets worse I will see a doctor.

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I think I can answer your question but how often do you play? do you use proper hand positioning technique? and what do you do for a living???

4. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    LarryO, I guess that's part of my question: am I using proper hand position? I keep my thumb in the middle of the neck almost all the time, which helps speed, but leads to a more bent wrist. My wrist is actually bent nearly as far as it will go when playing near the nut. That can't be go, but how can it be avoided without a major style change? I'm a mechanical engineer BTW, but don't really sit at the computer all day, if I can avoid it. Rehersal is tomorrow, I think I'll try stretching, taking off my watch, and serious conscious effort to lighten my touch.

5. Try a wider strap, at least wider in the area where the strap contacts your shoulder. You did mention it didn't happen with your other bass, either weight or distribution of the weight on your shoulder could be causing the problems.

6. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    If you have good medical insurance go see a Dr. If not, send me a private message.

7. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    that happens to me when playing like octaves or the equivelent of a power chord, it's like the middle of the underside of my forearm it gets all stingish and stuff... prolly cause the darned jazz bass weighs plenty on my shoulder and messes stuff up