Left Brain vs. Right Brain?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    What would you say you use more when playing? Improvising?

Of course, having both functioning well and utilizing skills contained in both are important. But do you notice yourself using one side more than the other? I sure do!!

Personally, I'm a predominately left-brained person, but I'm mildly creative...but more curious.

So, how are you?
  2. I'm more of a left brain person, I've noticed. Though I'm a bit divided, I enjoy right brain activities more, but I'm better at left brain logical stuff and math etc. I guess its the combination of the two that makes me who I am.......

Still, its hard for me to really say, I would say I'm more left brained when playing because I have a good (from what I've been told) sense of the beat and rythmn(I can never spell that word, sp?), and my improvising is more dependant on the situation. Though I try to be melodically concious of what I'm playing I'm also not amazingly creative in my lines....though that might just be from inexperience.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think the hemisphere theory isn't that important anymore in recent research AKAIK.
    I'm lefthanded and play righthanded so I'm messed up anyway. :D
    I don't think about it much, I don't think it's very important.
  4. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm cool with the hemisphere theory not being credited as the "be-all, end-all" concept: i was devestated when i learned that i wasn't right brained (which insinuated that i wasn't artistic...).

anyway, what i meant by introducing the hemispheres was this: do you play more by feel (ie-play by hearing sounds and trying to get them out) or by patterns (ie-learning as much about chords and scales and figuring out how to apply them)?

i tend to do the latter. in fact, most of what i play is done by this. when i do the occasional solo or fill, i visualize which notes are in the key and use this to pick which notes i play.

as you may guess, i am not the most impressive soloist.
  5. This is a good acronym for the spelling of rhythm.

Its helped me out loads :)
  6. Just wondering,

how am I supposed to know which part of my brain I'm using? :confused:
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Neurological studies show that there are only two know activities which engage both sides of the brain;

1. Playing a musical instrument
    2. Sex

Which you choose to do more frequently, well.....

Either way, you play the cards you're dealt.
  8. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I wonder what would happen if you tried both at the same time. Self induced seizures? ;)

9. Inspired by Wooten's Nature Camp in "Music as Language" thread, I think playing an instrument has to start in the left brain until the theory and mechanics start to come naturally. But performance doesn't mature until you can move it into the right brain where you stop thinking about details and just "let it flow". :cool:

I too COULD be wrong?:eek: Naw!
  10. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Burnthill, you're probably right...

On a good I'm right-brained, all intuitive. I don't have to think about everything. Not so good a night and I'm left-brained...
  11. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i can totally see how playing music employs both hemispheres...

but i think i'm about 60-40 or 70-30 on average, with the majority favoring the left.

rhythm may also be described as how each hemisphere interprets it. left brain "seeing" it as subdivisions, up-beats, etc. and the right brain simply "feeling" it.

as for the self-induced seizure thing: there's only one way to find out (if you know what i mean).

asking you guys
    :( ;) :D