Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

left hand angle??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by werbo1, Nov 21, 2004.

1. What should the angle be on the left (fretting) hand? I've heard perpendicular to the fingerboard, but my hand is too small to do that effectively. I can still get one finger per fret but it involves minor motions.
    My teacher really never taught me a proper technique in terms of the technical stuff, just taught me one finger per fret.

Also i've notice that my 1st and 3rd fingers are considerably stronger than my 2nd and 4th ( 2nd and fourth being middle and pinky) Tryin to fix it! Any advice??

2. waxbass

waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Are you talking about the angle of your hand as it applies to the fretboard or are you talking about the angle of the neck of the bass?

Either way, you should try to get your hand comfortably accross the fretboard with the fingers running parralel to the frets. Hand position however should change when you need it to. You literally have to move your hand. THere's no way around it. So you should start out playing with your hand in a certian comfortable position but don't get locked into one position. Adjust as necessary.

WIth the neck, it's the same way. I go from playing completely horizontal to almost vertical depending on what I'm playing. So you just have to be open and find what works for you.

wax